Should Hand Held Cellphones Be Banned While Driving?

by minimus 56 Replies latest jw friends

• waton
    waton
    If you destroy a life by your giving up the unique experience of driving in favour of a secondary one, you life should be destroyed, as a mandatory sentence.

A dislike was given for this.

why?

here is a jw driving experience:

On a start of a long rip, forgot the exact reason, but it involved a New York State destination, Watchtower Society related, the guest, ueber Jw, always leaching off others, never owned a car, -- suggested, and started a bible game, Like " which bible characters were fireproof?" (actually more convoluted questions)

The driver offered to go to the curb and have these "friends" arrange for their own transportation. again.

very irritating not to be able to enjoy your drive in peace.

dont forget many of the most enjoyable sought after life moments are to be had in all absorbing solitary movements: surfing, skateboarding, skiing, aerobatics, driving. dont spoil them by any contamination. like bible games, even mentally.

That is why self driving cars will be reserved for the poor in spirit. living other peoples lives.

• minimus
    minimus

Sir, yes you’re right, the government is prohibiting from doing certain things. You are suggesting that anyone who uses their phone while driving is dangerous. I disagree. That’s a black and white statement. I can drive and talk at the same time without causing injury or death. I can even chew gum while I drive too but don’t tell the authorities or I’ll get busted and fined.

• The Fall Guy
    The Fall Guy

A study in the UK stated that texting while driving was as dangerous as drink-driving.

So why hasn't the drink-driving law been been applied to the use of mobile 'phones in cars? An automatic one year ban would send sales of hands-free kits through the roof, and save a lot of friends and families from attending funerals.

https://metro.co.uk/2017/09/28/mobile-phone-drivers-killed-one-person-every-10-days-last-year-6963209/

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

It’s insane to make a call whilst driving.

If you’d looked at the studies they’ve done regarding the ability of humans to focus on more than one thing at a time in psychology ( spoiler alert: they can’t) you would never so much as listen to a message whilst driving, again.

• stillin
    stillin

It's almost ridiculous to watch the cars going past at a busy intersection while I'm waiting for the light to change. Probably half of the drivers are on the phone.

But it's not illegal here so I feel a lot safer. I wouldn't want to be sharing the road with a bunch of outlaws.

• waton
    waton

The trouble with audio input is, you cant turn it off, (think of the neighbours loud music) it will affect you mentally. I am tempted to wear earplugs at the meetings to keep peace of mind.

Not only do you have to listen when on the phone, you have to mentally react. when texting it is worse. in any event, sad, if others affect, intrude your life to the extend that you can not enjoy just the drive experience.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

I've lost count of the number of times I've been on the motorway and a lorry in front has been weaving from side to side. Sure enough, when overtaking it, the driver has had his phone up to his ear or been texting with his hands across the steering wheel while holding his phone. More often than not it's a European lorry.

• Still Totally ADD
    Still Totally ADD

Our car is tied in with my wife phone. If someone calls it goes right through the radio. No need to touch the phone. My feeling on texting is don't do it while driving or as far as I am concerned not at all. Life is to short to have your face glued to a hand held device. Lol. Also driving is a privelege not a right here in the U.S. So obey the laws given it may save your life as well as others. Still Totally ADD

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

There are many experiments like this which prove humans can only pay attention to one thing at a time, properly. My favourite is the open university giant pink bunny one, but sadly I couldn’t find it.

https://youtu.be/_bnnmWYI0lM

• blondie
    blondie

Diogenesister, thanks for showing that. There was a time when I was younger, I thought I could do 2 things at the same. It ended up with me doing 2 things ineffectively or inefficiently. I saved no time but at times put myself and others in danger.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit