What Simple Pleasures Do You Enjoy Since Leaving Watchtower?

by pale.emperor 33 Replies latest jw experiences

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

What Simple Pleasures Do You Enjoy Since Leaving Watchtower? Here's some of mine, in no particular order:

A cigar: I dont smoke cigarettes at all, but i do enjoy a good cigar from time to time. Only when the occasion calls for it like a celebration or if im feeling particularly good. Hamlet is my favorite brand, i don't see the fascination with Cubans.

Taking a girl out without planning our wedding or discussing eachothers theocratic goals or if we're going to have kids one day.

Lying in on Sunday mornings. After a year this still hasn't gotten old!

A good swear. I don't swear in front of kids, but i do think a good swearword is warranted in certain situations. Sometimes a sentence packs more punch with an F or an S in there.

Watching films with a sex scene without freaking out and changing the channel. (Hey Watchtower, did you ever think that maybe that scene isnt a big deal and there's a reason they put it there? (Unless of course it's a French film, in which case it's just there for no reason)).

Speaking to strangers. Im like an addict. I speak to everyone, from the people in the checkout que, to people in bookstores and the Starbucks barrista. Everyone knows Pale.Emperor :)

How about you?

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Well first and foremost academic study of biology. Accepting evolution and diving headfirst into higher education was definitely a pleasure, although not always simple!

Another simple pleasure of mine is watching horror films. I find horror to be a really diverse genre. There are many subgenres of horror - slasher, monster, alien/sci-fi, supernatural, zombie, psychological, etc.

Some films aren't even classed as horror but I appreciate the horror aspects they have. The Terminator (1984) is a sci-fi action film. The plot has a cold-blooded cyborg going through the phonebook and mercilessly killing everyone named Sarah Connor. This is almost a horror film.

Horror is often done poorly - overreliance on jump-scares, unnecessary remakes, excessive gore/blood - but there are many excellent horror films, waiting for appreciative audiences to discover them.

• Phoebe
    Phoebe

My husband brings me breakfast in bed on Sunday mornings...I think he can't quite believe he's finally got me out of the Watchtower and is keeping me sweet! -- I may use this to my advantage for some time ;)

I did the lotto.

I'm not afraid to make friends with non JWs.

Ditto on the good swear word...it's quite liberating when the occasion warrants it.

Best of all - freedom from headship. Not that I ever took any notice of that anyway, but when I did get a bit bossy with my old man I'd feel so guilty because I wasn't like the other submissive sisters and have to beg Jehovah to forgive me.

• Chook
    Chook

Not putting on a suit, wrapping Christmas presents, a little gambling and I give to street people much more.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i must admit i did succumb to the pleasures of the flesh

often

repeatedly.

• All or nothing
    All or nothing

- reading fifty shades of grey without an ounce of guilt

-not stressing about field service time every month

-not worrying about "satan" and if he is going to "get" me

-Enjoying life instead of just enduring it.

- Living in the present not for the "future"

i feel more free and easy going now🤗

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Oh wow, I had so many books, movies and current affairs to catch up on. All the stuff other witnesses would judge as "wasting time." Gardening, riding my bicycle, art, music, books etc. I have also enjoyed going along to listen to talks lectures etc on all sorts of subjects.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Thinking for myself - without any guilt.

Recognising that we are not bad people simply because we don't follow the edicts of 7 men in NY.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Freedom in a word .

Freedom to try different things and yes that unfortunately included smoking, booze and drugs, which didn't turn out so well so were duly dropped.

Freedom to open your mind to all information or education.

The JWS cult is very much about oppressive mind controlling propagated by fear, obligation and guilt, instigated by dishonest power seeking men running their own publishing house.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

I love to hear the news without seeing it as a sign from God of how soon the destruction will be here at his hand.

I find it so liberating not to be judged by the elites in the congregation who didn't like my showing them up via my sincerity which exposed their lack of honesty. Motives that were self centered.

I love NOT going to McDonald's, EVER!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit