Why are Canadians envious of Americans?

by Oroborus21 33 Replies latest jw friends

• Oroborus21
    Oroborus21

The whole discussion on "America" made me wonder the above.

by the way The War of 1812 wasn't against Canadians but against the Brits and won by Americans after the Battle of New Orleans--which inspired one of the funniest lines in folk music, penned by Jimmy Driftwood and sung by the great Johnny Horton:

..."We fired our cannon 'til the barrel melted down.
    So we grabbed an alligator and we fought another round.
    We filled his head with cannon balls, and powdered his behind
    And when we touched the powder off, the gator lost his mind."

Someone in that thread posted the lyrics to "We are the World" does anyone remember the parody that came out: "We are the Worms"? very funny.

I think Canadians are a little jealous because America gets so much attention in the world and they feel ignored way up there at the top of the continent. In their defense they have some beautiful country and almost every canadian girl I have ever met was super fine.

The whole discussion reminded me of one of my pet peeves: The difference between "nationality" and "ethnicity".

Invariably, I hear all the time people ask: "What nationality are you?" to someone when they mean to ask: "What ethnicity are you? or even What is your heritage? or What is your race (though some people are touchy about that an insist on there only being one human race--whatever).

Anyway, nationality is the wrong question. One's nationality refers to their citizenship as in when you are trying to cross the border and the border patrol asks you what is your nationality you should (if you are American) say: "I am a U.S. national" or better "I am a U.S. citizen".

But if one asks what is your ethnicity then you can say: I am french, german, italian...blah blah blah..or if they mean your (racial) mix then I am white and black with Cherokee Indian too....blah blah blah...

Interestingly "Hispanic" is one of those terms that people have different takes on, even more if you say "Latino" or "Latina". Obviously in one sense you mean Latin based but that applies to a large group not typically viewed as Latino. Latin America, what is that exactly? Most people from Mexico say Mexican, from Puerto Rico say Puerto Rican, or Cuba, Cuban, Guatemalan etc. the specific country but all of these get grouped under Latino and including Spain then you get Hispanic. But not Brazil, they are Portugese

and lets not even talk about mestizos!

Oy vey!

So you Canadians take pride in Canada ey and stop envying us Americans.

-Eduardo

• shamus
    shamus

EXCUSE ME????

That is a well-worn FALLICY that Canadians envy the Americans. Come up to Canada, and you will see what most people think. We are very different in our general beliefs on how the world is to be run - though our government is the wimpyest in the world!

From Canada, eh! Ets aboooot time. I could not differ with you more.

• Scully
    Scully

Sorry to blow your theory to smithereens, but I have no USA-envy. NONE.

Love, Scully (loves Canada, loves being Canadian, was born here, will die here)

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

Eduardo: news to me

• BeautifulGarbage
    BeautifulGarbage

Most Canadians that I have met (and I have met many), love Canada. They just hate the winters there.

Andee
    See you in October, class

• expatbrit
    expatbrit

Orborus:

The War of 1812 wasn't against Canadians but against the Brits and won by Americans after the Battle of New Orleans

You might wish to look up the relative dates of the Treaty of Ghent and the Battle of New Orleans.

Expatbrit

• jgnat
    jgnat

Huh? Last I checked, the results of the war of 1812 were inconclusive.

War of 1812

StateEntryExitCombat ForcesPopulationLosses
    Britain1812181450,00017,000,0005,000
    USA18121814100,0009,700,00012,000

Envious of the US? I don't think so. I am Canadian all the way, and I love it here. I plan on visiting Florida and other warm places in my old age, like any self respecting snowbird.

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Huh??? I'm supposed to be jealous of Americans? Well somebody shoulda told me. Here I am 50 years a Canadian and proud of it.

• dottie
    dottie

OK...You're joking right?

Dottie...of the Very F**kin PROUD Canadian Class and Wouldn't Turn Her Back on Canada for Anything

• ESTEE
    ESTEE

We are????

Sheesh!......wish someone woulda told me how I "should" act!!!!!

Git over it already!

ESTEE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit