Stinkypantz, Capone, SheilaM, Thunder-rider.....Tornadoes!!!!

by Robdar 28 Replies latest jw friends

• Francois
    Francois

If you have a storm cellar, get in it until the danger is past. If you don't have one, get one.

francois

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

Glad you are all ok and made it through with little or no damage! I was on here and read Sheila's post so that was how I heard about the storms...ran straight to the TV to get the latest. Being down here on the southern end of tornado alley I know how you have to keep watch this time of year. Stay well everyone!!!

ok, a little humor is in order now. :) when I first saw Sheila's thread title I thought, "space shuttle insulation? this long after?" hehe

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

DFW: LOL no it was roofing insulation LOL MAYBE we could pass if off as spaceshuttle stuff hmmmm

• Robdar
    Robdar

She didn't even mention me by name - Robyn hates me now!

Stephanus,

I didn't mention you by name because I didn't want to seem to be bragging about our lovely friendship. But, since you don't mind, allow me:

Everybody, Stephanus called me from Australia to check on me. He is my dear friend and he was so concerned about me that he didn't give a rip about the long distance charges and called me anyway. I hope that your friends are as fantastic as mine are.

Thanks for your snail mail addy. I will be mailing the American goodies/treats on Friday. Give SexKitten a hug for me, will ya?

We'll be laying bricks (instead of eggs) wondering if you are safe and sound.

Tell me folks whom live in that area: do you have storm cellars/basements to access should you be in the path of a tornado?

And...for those of you experienced, what do you do when one is coming?

I think for those living in tornado country, any rules of advice?

We'll be laying bricks (instead of eggs) wondering if you are safe and sound.

Tell me folks whom live in that area: do you have storm cellars/basements to access should you be in the path of a tornado?

And...for those of you experienced, what do you do when one is coming?

I think for those living in tornado country, any rules of advice?

Rayzor

I am laffing out loud at the laying bricks visual.....

I have a basement...I toss the cats' hairy, little hineys in there whenever we have a tornado watch. They don't like that much. Before my x took my dog, I had him trained to go into the basement when the monthly civil defense alarm check goes off. I hope that he (the dog) is safe.

The best thing to do if caught in a tornado is to get to the lowest level of the house and get as many walls as you can between you and the impending storm. So, if you do not have a basement, the innermost room on the lowest level is where to go. Also, wear a helmet on your head, if you have one, don't forget to have your shoes on, and wrap yourself in blankets, if possible. The meteorologists suggest that it is actually safer outside in a ditch if you live in a modular home or trailer.

Thanks for your pm. Your words mean alot to me.

SheilaM, ThunderRider, StinkyPantz and PR Copone, I am glad that you are are well.

Hugs,

Robyn

• DFWnonJW
    DFWnonJW

Just remembered this story. Probably an urbane legend though.

Supposedly years ago (when there weren't no doppler thingys, and fancy color zoom right in to your neighborhood radars) you could tune your telebision to a certain channel and if there was a tornado anywheres near, a horizontal line would show on the screen. Small but getting bigger relative to how close the tornado in question might be. People, it was said, would be in a trance as they watched the line on the screen intently. So intently that a few people were killed by tornadoes they were 'watching' - never having tried to run for shelter.

I heard it but I don't believe it.

• SexKitten
    SexKitten

Give SexKitten a hug for me, will ya?

Thanks, Robdar. Get your son or friend to give you a BIG hug for me. We were really worried about you!

Glad so far every-ones alright, Thank God.

I watch docramentries here on twisters and find them really awsome in the power and beauty. I experianced little one when in Victoria as a kid, and have never forgot what it felt like the fear and adrenalin.

You have much BIGGGER and deadly ones.

Any-way hope no one was hurt GOD BLESS.... and heaps of love to Robdar and everyone in those states xoxoxo

• nightwarrior
    nightwarrior

Glad that you are all ok - the minute I read and then saw what was happening I thought of you lot straight away.

Take care, and be safe.

Mrs Nightwarrior

• Shutterbug
    Shutterbug

Living in the Texas Panhandle, we are well aware of the dangers of tornados, and they are an awsome thing to behold. In 1995 we had one come thru one block from us and it is an experience we will never forget. Our family was in a neighbors cellar, along with about 10 females and only two males, myself and a young fellow who said he was nineteen. When the storm approached our "fraidy hole" we heard the roar some describe, which got louder and louder until it went past and then the volume gradually became less loud. It was almost as though we were hearing it on a radio with someone was turning up the volume and then down. Needless to say, there was a lot of crying and praying.

Robyn mentioned putting her cats in the basement. When we had our little experience my daughter wanted to take our cat to the cellar, but we decided in that cramped area that might not be such a good idea so we left him in the house. When we returned, we couldn't find him, until daughter found him under the desk. She had to crawl under there and drag him out and stroke, scratch and pet him for 30 minutes before he calmed down. Apparently animals have a way of detecting these things, it may have been the noise or the change in atmospheric pressure, but that was one scared cat. After he calmed down he laid on the living room carpet and slept for a good three hours while the rest of us walked around him.

If you have a storm cellar, get in it until the danger is past. If you don't have one, get one.

francois

Excellent advice, a storm cellar is the safest place to be in this type of storm. The second choice would probably be a basement. However, if you live in a toronado prone area, Francois' advoce should be considered very seriously.

Bug

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

You actually need to huddle in the SW corner of the basement it seems (per meterologists) that the tornado's hit the SW corner so you need to be there so that you have the house peeled AWAY from you instead of ON you. (SCARY THOUGHT HUH) *SHUDDERING*

• Brummie
    Brummie

I was getting worried for y'all too, gald to see you are all safe and well, phew..

Brumm

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit