1914 Dropped

by pale.emperor 24 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

So I was observing an online conversation between a JW and a former-JW. The non-JW pointed out that WWI cant have had anything to do with Satan supposedly being "cast out of heaven" because WWI was already well under way in Oct 1914.

The JW proceeds to explain that Satan was actually thrown down to the earth in 1915 and that he started to wreak havock on the earth from heaven knowing he was about to be cast out.

So 1914 is officially old light now? Does anyone have a source for that or was this brother lying through his teeth?

Check the comments to this answer to see what I mean: https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-evidence-that-a-group-of-Christians-who-would-later-become-Jehovahs-witnesses-were-chosen-by-Jesus-as-Gods-channel-in-the-year-1919/answer/Helge-K%C3%A5re-Fauskanger

JW: The Bible doesn't say that Satan will be cast down to the earth before he begins to wreak havoc upon it. It appears that Satan began to wreak havoc on earth when it became clear to him that he wasn't going to be ruling it much longer; a sort of “rule or ruin” scheme. That was of course before Jesus was enthroned, and before his expulsion from heaven. Whatever the case, he didn't have to wait until Jesus’ enthronement, or until his eviction, before beginning his destructive campaign. The latest article that discussed this question says that we cannot know for certain when Satan was cast down to the earth, but it was soon after 1914.

Non-JW: I’m simply pointing out that many JWs (myself included when I was one) would point out that Watchtower’s claim of Satan being thrown down to earth in 1914 was backed up by the start of WW1 in that same year. That’s all.

JW: Yes. That's true. The WW1 was proof of something. Although we used to believe that Satan was cast out of heaven in 1914, further research has shown that his expulsion was, not in that year, but after that year. Apparently, Satan's rule or ruin scheme made him feel that: “if I won't rule the world, I might as well destroy it.” Knowing fully well that God's Kingdom was the agency that would destroy him and all his accomplishments, he was determined to thwart it's establishment. So, when it became clear to him that Jesus would be enthroned and there was nothing he could do about it, he began his campaign of worldwide destruction. If he was really reasoning along these lines, you see that he didn't have to wait until he was evicted from heaven before tearing the world apart.

• Fadeaway1962
    Fadeaway1962

The prince of peace book (ws chapter 3 p 21-23 par 15 )

This debasement of the satanic forces was evidently fully accomplished by 1918 the year when ww 1 came to a end.

So if I remember correctly although the war in heaven started in 1914 Satan and his forces held out till late 1918 then cast out and then they intensified the persecution of the holy ones.

• Atlantis
    Atlantis
    First they claimed 1914.

Watchtower 1997, July 1st, pg.7

All the evidence shows that since 1914 the great opposer of God, Satan, has been cast down to the vicinity of the earth, and the Kingdom is now operating as a reality!

Then they said: "Following That Year"

Watchtower 2000, January 1st, pg.8, par.10

"True to Bible prophecy, this world’s “conclusion” began in 1914 and was marked by the outbreak of the first world war. (Matthew 24:3, 7) There is strong evidence that Satan and his demonic hordes were cast out of heaven following that year."

Then they said: "About 1914"

In the New World Translation 2013 Edition, B1, pg. 1755, they said that Satan was cast out of heaven "About" 1914" Which suggests "not exactly" 1914, but somewhere around that year. Which could mean 1915 or some other date that they dream up.

Petra!
  • Justaguynamedmorph
    Justaguynamedmorph

1914 has not, in any way, been dropped. There is A video where Ole bullet head Splain tries to explain it, complete with a chart. 1914 is integral to wt theology.

When satan was cast out of heaven is not a major point and the identifying when they believed that happened is not really a big deal for them, per say. Dont conflate the importance of 1914 with satan being cast out, thats not why they believe 1914 is relevant.

• pistolpete
    pistolpete

Would we really be surprised if they dropped 1914 completely and said;

"A better understanding of events marking the last days has been revealed"

Would we be surprised if the majority of the members accepted it without questioning it?

(Amos 3:7) . . .For the Sovereign Lord Jehovah will not do a thing Unless he has revealed his confidential matter to his servants the prophets.
  • nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

If it was rule or ruin the axis powers would have won ww2 or why not just have a nuke war?

• Justaguynamedmorph
  • road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

The having great anger was supposed to be the cause of ww1. Satan is limited to earth (moon, mars?) so wreaks havoc. Like when you have a bad day at work so come home and break furniture and slap the wife around and kick the dog. The old story was that the anger started ww1,

• Ultimate Axiom
    Ultimate Axiom

So, when it became clear to him that Jesus would be enthroned and there was nothing he could do about it, he began his campaign of worldwide destruction.

The naivety of it all! Like Satan thought he stood any chance of thwarting the almighty God? He knew there was nothing he could do about it in the garden of Eden. They portray these individuals like they have all the acumen of human beings, but then that’s exactly what you would expect from a bunch of fairy tales made up by primitive people over 3,000 years ago. I still find it hard to believe that I ever swallowed all that bullshit.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known
    Watchtower 2000, January 1st, pg.8, par.10
    "True to Bible prophecy, this world’s “conclusion” began in 1914 and was marked by the outbreak of the first world war. (Matthew 24:3, 7) There is strong evidence that Satan and his demonic hordes were cast out of heaven following that year."

"Strong evidence?" Notice the word "strong," which is an adjective to describe the evidence. If it were strong why do only Jehovah's Witnesses believe this?

If I said that I found strong evidence of intelligent alien life that had come to Earth what type of evidence would you expect that I had found? Video or photographic evidence? DNA or tissue samples? Alien technology? Alien alloys from space craft?

I think the whole conversation is just an exercise in the Watchtower moving the goal posts again to support their conspiracy theory. It's all speculation and conjecture. There is no evidence.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit