Latest JW.org Statistics Are Confusing & Lack Context

by steve2 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• steve2
    steve2

I think the 'fast facts section on jwdot org,are still showing 2016 highlights. It may well be they just havent got round to updating those figures to include the 2017 service year yet. We will see

Fair enough - but then why entitle it the 2017 Service Report?

• stillin
    stillin

The figures don't lie, but liars can figure.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

Steve,

This problem you exposed cast a serious dark cloud over the reliability of these reports being accurate. I'm sure that in your profession you know the lengths a person will go to, to stay in denial, especially if they bank their whole life on an Organization claiming to be God's Organization and they work their way to the top of management in that organization.

That being said thanks for the info.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    there were 500 more partakers counted in 2017 which brings the Memorial Sippers and Nibblers to well over 18,500.

The Watchtower claims these increases are crazy or confused new converts. But there is another possibility whose numbers, I believe, will only grow :

Protest partakers ; PiMO 's, trapped by family, who are believers and realize the NT offers the hope for all Christians, not just a privileged few.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    Are they implying the 'Ministers who teach the bible' reported number is the number of JWs in that country?

I was also wondering, Incognito, if this includes unbaptised publishers including young children , as total jw's in a particular country?

Also, are women who cannot be " ministerial servants" now " ministers"? And can they now officially " teach"?

Maybe someone can explain? Also ( my pet peeve) why *Pheobe, of Romans 16.1, is called a " Deacon"

A notable woman in the church of Cenchreae, she was trusted by Paul to deliver his letter to the Romans. ... "I commend to you our sister Phoebe, a deacon of the church in Cenchreae"

Deacon, of course, is a ministerial serpent. But she was doing here the job of a circuit overseer..

• steve2
    steve2

Deacon, of course, is a ministerial serpent.

Thanks Diogenesister - an unforgettable title!

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

There is a lot you can do to to obscure the truth while not technically reporting false information.

Or as Mark Twain said, there are three kinds of lies: Lies, Damn Lies and Statistics.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    I was also wondering, Incognito, if this includes unbaptised publishers including young children , as total jw's in a particular country?

No, it includes only baptized and unbaptized publishers. There is no practice of counting those who do not turn in their field service reports.

Also, are women who cannot be " ministerial servants" now " ministers"? And can they now officially " teach"?

In JW land, women can be ministers, and they have explained this :

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/2012649

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/102010255

• alanv
    alanv

Steve, I think the confusion comes from the fact that you have to click on the 2017 Service report, before you get to see 'Related articles' headings on the right. All it says there is 'Jehovah's Witnesses around the world. You then click on that and get the 2016 figures for every country.

My guess is that those figures will be updated soon with the 2017 figures. However by just giving those very few facts, it is very hard for the average witness to realize things are not going well in their country, or in fact in most countries.

• Incognito
    Incognito
    No, it includes only baptized and unbaptized publishers. There is no practice of counting those who do not turn in their field service reports. - Dreary

Alright then ... the point being, the Fast Facts box in Darkspilver's post on page one, specifies New Zealand's population divided by 'Ministers who teach the Bible', to arrive at the ratio of JW's to population.

'Ministers who teach the Bible' appear to include not only baptised publishers but also un-baptised publishers, to arrive at the ratio of JW's to population. My and Diogenesister's comments relate to the prospect of WT counting all publishers, not only those baptised, to calculate the 8+ million active JWs currently throughout the world.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit