The Faithful and Discreet Slave Just "have" The Truth

by Number 6 22 Replies latest jw experiences

• Number 6
    Number 6

In the late 80's when i was in my late teens I used to with my then wife to be attend a Monday night pre-Watchtower study at a local elders house.

This guy was revered as very knowledgable and he was scholarly and interesting to listen to; so at the time it was a genuinely enjoyable Monday evening spent with oftentimes discussion would veer far of the subject at hand and lasting to well after 11pm some evenings.

This particular night, the subject up for discussion was "The Faithful and Discreet Slave" and how we should be obeying them without question. Right in the middle of the study this elder said as a question not in the WT article; "how do we REALLY know the current FDS as lead by the Governing Body are the real deal. I mean what actual proof do we have?"

For a moment we were all kind of stunned, and then realised he was for real. At the time we all fumbled about making the vaguest of replies about who else could it be and it was the fulfillment of Bible prophecy, but that was about it.

Then he followed up with "In reality, we have no proof, we just take there word for it" then he kind of caught himself and started parroting WT drivel and falling back into line. But for that one second, I saw his veil fall. Like I said he was an intelligent guy, a qualified engineer with a good grasp of language and could hold his own in an arguement.

For the JW's the FDS just "have" the truth and that's it. They don't question. I wonder how it took me so long to see the light. But I did. I often wondered what became of him and then something happened today that made me write this.

I met him in a local chemist whilst picking up a prescription. "Hello" he says to me, "long long time since I saw you".

I havent been near a KH in nearly 30 years, I'm nearly 50 him in his 80s.

I replied "still banging doors telling all the world is ending anyday now ______"

He just looked old and sad, and I hadnt the heart to ridicule him or tell him how wrong he was, but again for that brief second, I saw it in his eyes; the guard let down. We parted company and I felt just an overwhemling sadness for such a bright man all those years ago; reduced to this old man, shuffling to and fro in the name of "the truth".

He, and so amy other miliions, deserved better.

• cofty
    cofty

Interesting post, thanks.

I think some of the older generation were more realistic and less cultish. Perhaps they genuinely felt they had a relationship with god that was not dependent on the mediation of the organisation.

• Ding
    Ding

"Who else could it be? is the big reason.

The entire premise of a FDS having been appointed to micromanage JWs' lives is never questioned.

On a smaller scale, JWs "know" the GB has "the truth" by constant repetition and by the "big" doctrines that never change:

-- Name "Jehovah"

-- Never-ending witnessing

-- End just around the corner (despite constant new light on when)

-- No Trinity

-- No hellfire

-- Neutrality

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Ding It’s a box ticking exercise , as Lloyd Evans says, rather than what it should be...that in 1919 Jesus inspected all religions and chose “Judge” Rutherford and his yes-men to Run his “earthy organization“....because god is a god of organization, instead of chaos. Even though chaos is how he runs thing in the rest of the universe.🤨

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Number 6 I had an experience on Christmas Day.

An elderly disabled JW man called Christmas morning, about 10 o clock. He was a very pleasant, kindly old gentleman and even though I told him about the issues I had with the Old Testament Bible, I really didn’t have the heart to give him both barrels on the Watchtower. Yet I hate the thought of Watchtower taking advantage of him.

I told him I had no issue with organized religion as long as:

1 members were able to use their own conscience and think for themselves without consequences if they do!!!

2 they were not given interminable rules to obey, most of which were NOT in the Bible (my word I say a look of dismay on his face when I said that!!!)

3 I talked about “works” and the pressure to do more and more for religions (surprised he didn’t twig then, but he didn’t)

4 they are not pressured to give more and more money, often surreptitiously ie not tithing but donations they can’t afford. I said a good thing to look at is what beautiful places a religions leaders live in, versus their poor members in Africa etc and how many charitable works they do. I mentioned Jesus providing food for the hungry etc)

He really listened respectfully to me and acknowledged I knew a lot about the Bible etc. I at no time intimated I was once a JW or even that I knew HE was (although he gave me a tract). The only time he looked uncomfortable is when I mentioned RULES!!

My aim was to try and help him enjoy the fellowship of other JWs without giving of his money or too much time, although he seems the type that loves to preach.

My kids said he came back early Boxing Day with another tract and a woman (I was asleep lol) If she is young I am going to plant some seeds.

• minimus
    minimus

A weird thing happens with some JWs. They may appear to be “woke” but just like that they begin to spout JW arguments and try to convince themselves or others that what they are saying makes sense.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Just look where you learned all the " true" things......according to themselves

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

"The Faithful and Discreet Slave" and how we should be obeying them without question"

The WTS heads strategized in how to lure people to the literature they would publish and how to get people to distribute that literature themselves.

Self marking and promotion was their opportunistic endeavor as a means to create their own subsequent power, control and money. (1919)

They were false prophet charlatans full of sin and apostasy, something that's easy to see today.

The WTS has been preaching a false commercialized and tainted version of the Gospel of Jesus for over a century.

• waton
    waton

Today's (Friday the 12/27 2019's) text: The kingdom of God is like a perl--"

Wt's F&DS claims to have the kingdom monopoly sayings: so

If you want to be in the kingdom, sell all and pioneer, leave your estate to the wt kingdom/ buy the sayings (literature).

Likely though, the 1914 kingdom is the mother of all fake pearls.

• Listener
    Listener

This is what they have to say about themselves in the latest March 2020 Watchtower under the article titled -Love and Appreciation for Jehovah Lead to Baptism

6 Learn to love and support Jehovah’s organization. Jehovah has organized his people into congregations; his Son, Jesus, is the head over them all. (Eph. 1:22; 5:23) Jesus has appointed a small group of anointed men to take the lead in organizing the work that he wants done today. Jesus referred to this group of men as “the faithful and discreet slave,” and they take seriously their responsibility to feed and protect you spiritually. (Matt. 24:45-47) One of the ways the faithful slave helps to care for you is by ensuring that qualified elders are appointed to shepherd you. (Isa. 32:1, 2; Heb. 13:17; 1 Pet. 5:2, 3) The elders are willing to pour themselves out for you, to comfort you, and to help you grow ever closer to Jehovah. But one of the most important things they can do for you is help you teach others about Jehovah.—Eph. 4:11-13.

How are followers supposed to learn to love the Watchtower when so much of what they do is not transparent?

They make the unsubstantiated claim that Jesus has appointed the FDS, who they claim is a small group of anointed men. However, these men are the ones that personally claim they are 'anointed' and nowhere has Jesus quantified that the FDS is either a group or small in number. Neither has Jesus found them to be faithful or discreet, that is a judgement he reserves for a later time.

The article claims that the FDS ensure the appointment of qualified Elders. But wait a minute, Jesus appoints the Governing Body members but who appoints the Elders? The claim that the GB ensure the appointment of qualified Elders can be proven to be false when we look at their own policies on appointing men who have committed serious crimes in the past.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit