JW Broadcasting reeks of desperation

by oldskool 30 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• oldskool
    oldskool

Magnum,

First of, excellent avatar my man. Greatest movie of the past year, and completely underrated. Moving on.

JWdom used to at least appear to be intellectual and scholarly. Your post indicates that you became a JW in the 90's, so you might not be familiar with the seemingly scholarly period of JWdom.

When I first joined I quickly moved through all the 'current' literature at the time. I ordered every odd book you could still order, including bound volumes diaglot, king james bible (they printed that!), concordance, ect. The hall was still stacked with older books from 70s/80s in the lit counter. I read the James commentary, not knowing the origin of course, and wondered why they didn't have more books like that. Regardless, the older style of JWdom is what I gravitated to and in retrospect my main disappointment which led to me leaving was seeing how that part of the faith was on the way out.

It has become wimpy. The strong confidence of former times is gone. JWs of times past used to relish deep doctrinal discussions and even arguments, but no more; they now run from such.
    Correct. Each successive generation of JW has become more tame. Gone are the sandwich board signs and picketing. This was to be expected. I believe that the strong focus on John 17:3 i.e. "taking in knowledge" combined with a reduction in the complexity and depth of that knowledge created a situation where repetitive and dull recycled material became a monotonous norm driving apathy especially among youth.
    think that now they're not really wanting people like us to join. They no longer want intelligent thinkers. They want only people they can control - people who will unquestioningly follow.
    My guess is that they want to sell off NYC property, build a compound that will last for decades, and transition away from expansion. The JWs put themselves in a pickle when they proclaimed for so long that the org would expand to the end. The built in anticipation for growth means they have to keep up appearances of growth, which in some respects might be costing them lots of money. What the return they see on every dollar of missionary work anyway?
    I really think they want to weed out people like us because they know we see through them and would only cause problems.
    The downside is that we were their biggest advocates. They may not want the risk of intellectuals within their faith, but the leadership vacuum going on has to be terrible.

At this point, I essentially think the JWs are morphing into one of these non mainstream infomercial groups but without the flair. A lot of white bread that is appetizing to nobody but vein smart asses. The JWs don't have the guts to proclaim the radical end times junk as much as they used to. Total wimps. Just compare to these other radical dips, who probably have more of a connection to the Witnesses of old than the JWs themselves:

http://www.endtime.com/
    https://www.thetrumpet.com/key_of_david
    http://www.jvim.com/

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

OLDSKOOL:

Welcome to the forum and it is great to read your take on what has happened to the Witness religion in the last decade or so.

Even though I am a long-time "fader", I have followed on this forum the changes to the JW religion: dumbed-down literature, fewer meetings, dismissal of many bethelites, etc., closing branches, selling off real estate, embracing the "demonized" internet and broadcasting, the loss of many of their best and brightest and the influx of people with serious issues - which means there are fewer responsible working people in the congregations. (The demographics inside the congregations isn't like 30 years ago! Not a place I'd want to be anymore.)

I know a few people who are almost 40 years inactive who have NO idea of these changes and imagine their beloved JW religion is the one they remember.

I only wish their eyes would be open to what the situation really is there. They would be shocked! I wonder if they would still call it "the Truth"?

• donny
    donny

Great post OLDKOOL,

I have shown some of my friends and coworkers the material presented on JW.Org such as the Caleb "kid" videos and the like and the result I almost always get is WTF?

And to think I used to be a part of that mess!

• sparky1
    sparky1

"The JWs don't have the guts to proclaim the radical end times junk as much as they used to" - oldskool

You are on to something, oldskool. Can you imagine Nathan Knorr announcing Caleb and Sophia as the new 'mascot' of the Jehovah's Witness religion in his concluding comments at the end of an 'International Convention'?

• breakfast of champions
  • oldskool
    oldskool

@breakfast

Great experience! Prof Chomsky still remains very accessible. Also, if you're into his work, you might also enjoy Prof. David Harvey, his background is similar to mine (geography), he is a great speaker and writer. Sort of in the same vein, but more economics than foreign policy with the political stuff.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Well, here is the best of JW Broadcasting

https://youtu.be/45d2MfKdrU8

• Gorb
    Gorb

Great post!

G.

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

I very much enjoyed Oldschool’s post and everything he said is born our even more so today...

• lastmanstanding
    lastmanstanding

Most interesting, the new Zeke book that is being currently studied has many major doctrinal changes that would have been regarded as heresy and apostasy worthy of extreme disfellowship and shunning not long back, in fact just pre covid.

Remember the soon to be “judgement message”… demonstrated in the video showing two “sisters” with the barking dog?

The new Zeke book studied last night is backpedaling, suggesting the “judgement message” is AFTER “false religion” goes down and only a possibility, not a certainty.

Last nights study also steals from Christendom again, saying that the “sign of the Son of Man” is not 1914 and the war etc, discerned only by the GB, but rather a future event, supernatural thing that they all will see.

And no mention of that this is new. It flies right past the R&F and they all fawn over the GB.

Just since the new year, they threw away the United Nations beast teaching, the Sign of the Son of Man teaching, and the “judgement message” teaching.

oMg

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit