Generation

by Jrjw 26 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Jrjw
    Jrjw

Please could someone explain to me what the generation thing I keep seeing in people's threads was that had lots of people leave the wts coz it was way before I became a witness

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    Please could someone explain to me what the generation thing I keep seeing in people's threads was that had lots of people leave the wts coz it was way before I became a witness

Read the threads. That's how you get what's all about best. They are quite informative.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

basically..it means anyone born in say 1900 is in the same generation as anyone else born within their lifetime, say 80 years later. overlapping means the 80 year old--in 1980 overlaps within anyone born within the lifetime of the one born in 1980...so 80 years on we get to 2060, when the next overlapping generation begins.

i think..but then i'm not a dub.

the above explanation is subject to change, revision, nulite or whatever buzzword escapes from the watchtowers rectum.

• freddo
    freddo

I'll try ...

Up until 1995 and especially after the 1975 debacle "The Generation" was understood as those aged between about 70 and 80 - that saw 1914 (with understanding) and would not pass away before Armaggeddy.

When it was becoming obvious that the generation WAS passing away the age of understanding not-so-subtly dropped from 15 to 10 to babies.

By 1995 the gig was up as we were now 81 years from 1914.

So the definition of "The Generation" was changed a few times between then and 2010 - see jw.facts for details - when the infamous overlapping generations arrived and more recently the "Ex-Splaned" chart shows how it works. (Using F.W.F. and causing WTF? from many on this and other forums.)

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Yes, JW facts will no doubt help.

https://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/generation.php

And btw, the generation Jesus referred to actually was His own.

• waton
    waton

at the root of it all is Jesus singling out a generation that would not pass away until all his endtime prophecies would be fulfilled, all these things have occurred.

Wt is still trying to find that generation

Cclue: it is not the anointed)

• sir82
    sir82

Please could someone explain to me what the generation thing I keep seeing in people's threads was

LOL. That's just it. No one can explain it. It is beyond comprehension.

It's like asking "Please could could someone explain to me how 3 + 6 = potato?"

• Ding
    Ding

The WT used to teach that the generation that saw the events of 1914 would be no means pass away until Armageddon and the new system came.

Each issue of Awake! contained a statement to that effect.

At one point, in order to stress how close the end was, they said that people would have to have been at least 15 in 1914 to understand the events of that year.

As time went by with no Armageddon they lowered the age to 10.

Eventually, as long as a person was born on or before December 31, 1914, that was enough.

As the years went by it became clear that this generation was about to expire, so they came up with the idea of overlapping generations of anointed.

Now, if two of the anointed were alive at the same time, they are considered to be of the same generation. So an anointed who was a baby when Fred Franz died at age 99 is considered to be part of Fred's generation.

This redefinition bought the WT about another 100 years.

Assuming Armageddon doesn't come by then either, some future GB will have to come up with new light to keep the whole thing going or hope people forget the WT ever said that the end must come within one generation of 1914.

Despite these embarrassing redefinitions of the 1914 generation, most JWs are still convinced that the end is just around the corner, closer than ever; many younger JWs have no idea all those redefinitions occurred.

Some JWs, however, are aware of these changes and are realizing that the organization doesn't have a pipeline to Jehovah after all... that its promises of an imminent paradise have failed.

This is particularly true of JWs who remember being told in the 1960s and later that they didn't need an education or retirement planning because they would never grow old in this system of things.

• Jrjw
    Jrjw

Thank you everyone 😊

• pale.emperor

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit