How are midweek CLAM meetings solid spiritual food in ANY way?

by Isambard Crater 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Isambard Crater
    Isambard Crater

Besides the possibility that the Theocratic Ministry School was dropped to avoid the word 'school' appearing any longer for A.R.C child abuse reasons, the introduction of the new CLAM meetings for midweek has been one of the several main factors making me develop a repulsion for the JW.org religion.

Okay, the Watchtower study is fairly Mickey Mouse these days too, but the midweek meetings are truly awful and contribute to me feeling physically and emotionally ill, which I documented in my first post on here.

I'm quite a well-educated person and my job involves a lot of linguistic skill, thinking, communication, analysis, research, interpretation and presentation. The CLAM workbook is patronising and like something even school kids would tire of.

After a long day at work, I don't like the idea of dragging myself off to a midweek meeting in the cold dark nights let alone any other time of the year, but it'd be far better if it was for more solid spiritual food. Somehow the meetings I grew up with as a child were more interesting. These days, CLAM meetings are a carbon copy week on week. There's now no longer the opportunity to unearth genuinely interesting Bible highlights away from the dictated 'Jehovah' and 'ministry' questions, and the preprepared 'digging for spiritual gems' questions simply involve brothers or sisters repeating a Watchtower quote verbatim.

The bit that makes my heart sink and to feel physically nauseous is the trio of demonstrations. This month, we've endured the silhouette video of memorial invitations, then this week it's about how to offer, guess what, the memorial invitations. Next week, you'd never guess, it's about how to offer memorial invitations. Most publishers in my congregation have been offering them for the last week, so do we really need constant simpleton demonstrations?

The meeting then ends with 30 minutes of self-congratulatory stuff, which is rather contradictory and makes my mind wander onto Governing Body member Geoffrey Jackson saying under oath in court in the Australian Royal Commission on child abuse that it would be presumptuous to call themselves the faithful and discrete slave, God's only channel.

The 3-minute review of the meeting is so repetitive but not in a good way, and the preview of next week is the same. Once you've studied the CLAM workbook in preparation, you don't learn anything new at all by attending the meeting itself.

'Association' afterwards comprises congregants saying how wonderful they feel to be in the centre for true worship, but during the meeting with 40 out of 80 publishers in attendance, only a handful participated and I saw loads of yawning. Someone in the ministry said to me lately he feels sorry for J.W's and wishes we'd let go and have fun. Inside my heart and head, I agreed with them.

Most of the time, when someone asks how I am and I tell them I'm not so good, they very ironically say "we'll it's a good job you've got The Truth" and "I'm sure being here tonight will make you feel better, then" - but most J.W's in my experience simply start walking away the minute someone says they're unwell or whatever. Nice.

I find the CLam meeting analysis on this site very good.

Instead of wasting my time at a CLAM meeting I'd rather be helping the homeless or doing real 'good'.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Well said!

It certainly seems dumbed down....

We stopped attending before the Clam started, so we haven't had the "privilege" of attending one....thankfully.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

Amen bro! Same reason I just can't take it anymore. Ever notice when the C.O. visits he will take a chapter from the bible and dissect verse by verse. That is the only time I feel we learn anything. Why can't they do that every week?

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

Don't you think - being given the the scriptures you are suposed to comment on - and being given the questions and answers - and then just Parroting back those isn't Learning or of Value?

Isn't that the way they do it in Harvard?

:)

• Isambard Crater
    Isambard Crater

Totally, nowwhat?, verse by verse dissection feels much more like proper bible study, along with context.

• Slidin Fast
    Slidin Fast

Once you've studied the CLAM workbook in preparation, you don't learn anything new at all by attending the meeting itself.

If you prepare this in any way, the boredom factor is increased to the point of agony. The only way I get through it is to see it for the first time during the meeting, check the references, google any controversial questions and do some sort of critical review as we go along. I usually learn more of interest from (any) other sources.

If I had pre "studied" this stuff it would be intolerable. The only interest to me is the dissection in the car with my wife on the way home.

• sir82
    sir82

I agree - the CLAMs are pathetic, vapid, and excruciatingly dull.

And that would be the case even with decent speakers.

When the presentations are done by Brother Mumble, Brother Monotone, and Brother Moron, well, it's a perfect storm of insipidity.

• Sanchy
    Sanchy

I agree 100%. There is absolutely no room for individual contributions to the content of the meeting. It's all just an exercise in repeating what is written.

• Isambard Crater
    Isambard Crater
    Sanchy, in a very mild way, I actually shared my feelings about CLAM meetings being repetitious with a MS in my congregation. His reply was something like; "Well, that may be, but all our Christian meetings are primarily about association together, encouraging one another in these wicked last days. I'm sure, like all of us, you don't want to leave once you've arrived at the Kingdom Hall"

Which goes back to what I said about hardly any J.W's really listening if you do tell them you're not well, and most others don't give straight answers to questions, and the rest hardly have anything to talk about. Conversation is painful there, whereas I get on with my work mates and neighbours so well.

• WTWizard
    WTWizard

It is a waste of time and energy. About all you learn is how to place whatever littera-trash is being featured that week. They expect people to give more of their time and money, boast about those who are in even worse shape (since when does that improve your own condition), and make people feel guilty about not pious-sneering because it is not reasonable and prudent. And the videos--forgiving those who deliberately and intentionally set out to ruin your life? I would get more out of a video that just freezes up instead of playing.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit