July 4 th Independence Day... Do You Know Any Witnesses That Celebrated?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I knew of a ministerial servant that was called out because he used fire crackers on the 4 th of July. We had to have an emergency meeting as to his qualifications. I remember imploring the body to not make a big issue over this and it was decided to just “counsel” him about being involved in a patriotic holiday.🤨

• HappyBlessedFree
    HappyBlessedFree

I know soooo many that watch the fireworks. Is that considered celebrating? I would say yes. I was guilty of going to watch the fireworks as a witness. My husband (who is POMI) just told me the brother he works with was going to come with us to watch the fireworks tomorrow but because we are going to where it’s very crowded he decided to go to his secret spot where he always goes every year.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS:

I knew JWs who watched the fireworks. I didn’t think it was such a big deal. I also knew Witnesses who drove around the neighborhood at Christmas time looking at all the beautiful decorations and lights.

I didn’t think any less of these people at the time.

• Dagney
    Dagney

Sorta like Thanksgiving? JW’s bbq on the holiday, buy fireworks because it’s the only time you can, go see firework shows, all the moves but don’t “celebrate.”

• Prester John
    Prester John

Are there special Field Ministry arrangements for July 4th and Thanksgiving? Or have they been quietly ditched like the Christmas and New Year's Day arrangements?

And not forgetting Bank Holidays. You were never supposed to have a day off.

Re Thanksgiving: Looking from the outside as I live in the UK, what is the objection to this holiday? Is it considered religious? If you were PIMI, logic would dictate that Jehovah directed events to ensure that the nutjob Pilgrims would survive that first winter, thus setting in motion the chain of events that led to the Constitution and the guarantee of freedom of worship which fostered the setting up of the WTBTS.

I say go ahead and celebrate!

• GetMeOutofHere
    GetMeOutofHere

Many witnesses get as close to celebrating these type of festivities as possible. They certainly do not ‘hate what is bad’ in this aspect and would quickly accept if the Governing Body said it was okay.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Happy 4th of July Independence day to all my friends in America, I wish you all well and safekeeping.

From downunder

smiddy3

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

I go and see fireworks with my kids, like I did when I was an Elder.

• tiki
    tiki

Yep!! Loved it!

• exjwlemming
    exjwlemming

"It's not a lie, if you believe it." George Costanza. My JW mom would serve a turkey dinner on Black Friday because it technically was not Thanksgiving....and turkey was cheaper and sold at a discount after the holiday. We still had a Christmas dinners on Christmas but no gifts. JW's had Memorial Day and 4th of July pool parties and picnics. They engaged in Labor Day picnics and other practices, but on Sunday they would use their comments at the washtowel study to shake their fingers and chastise worldlings for celebrating something. I live in the upper midwest (USA). When I was in deep, they would visit a cheap ski mountain on Christmas Day or New Years Day and 99% of the people on the hill were JWs since worldies are celebrating with family....and lift tickets are sold at a discount. There are more JWs at "Devil's Head", "Christmas Mountain", Alpine, and Cascade on a holiday than at most circuit assemblies. Many were inactive and "spiritually weak" but wanted the camaraderie since they are PIMO and didn't have anything to do with their biological family since they cut them off years ago. I've been out for quite a while, but I'm sure they still do it.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit