July 4 th Independence Day... Do You Know Any Witnesses That Celebrated?

by minimus 21 Replies latest jw friends

• rockemsockem
    rockemsockem

We always went to see the fire works. I would hear some laboring over that if you can see them from your home and watch is that celebrating? Going to some place specifically to see them would be wrong. bla bla bla. More stupid crap from the cult. I never bought into this crap. I would drive to find a good spot and sit and watch. But I was never that indoctrinated. I have always had a very skeptical mind.

• iwantoutnow
    iwantoutnow

By the way, MANY Bethelites (including many GB) loved to go to the top of the Bossart or Sands and see the fireworks.

They would brag about how its the Best View anyone could have.

• minimus
    minimus

There is going to be major fireworks in Washington today

• I quit!
    I quit!

I never knew any Minimus but I thought this was hilarious: "We had to have an emergency meeting as to his qualifications"

Amazing what they focus on.

• Acer21
    Acer21

I know several witnesses who vocally state they do not celebrate any holidays, yet always go on vacations whenever there is a holiday: They travel, visit places, and have fun.

• Prester John
    Prester John

Somebody up thread mentioned Labour Day. I'd always understood this to be an unofficial end of Summer holiday, when the holiday homes are closed up and the cycle of school life returns. What balanced person could object to this?

The connection with organised Labour has long gone, a bit like May Day in the UK.

• ShirleyW
    ShirleyW

I'm sure all the Bethelites in Warwick are sorry they're going to miss the Macy's fireworks display this evening, since the barge is going to be right under the Brooklyn Bridge, all they would have to do is just go to the roofs of the various Bethel bldgs, like they always did to watch the the display

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I was born on the 4 of July so growing up there were two fun things I didn’t get to do on that day.

When my boys were kids I’d buy a few sparklers and some of quiet fireworks and we’d light em off in the back yard the next day.

My oldest son and his wife still go to an occasional meeting or assembly just to keep in the good graces with her family and all their JW friends.

Their little girl was born on my birthday, so now on July 4th we don’t celebrate our birthdays....together.

So now there’s 3 fun things I miss out on, on that day thanks to the JW religion.

• 3rdgen
    3rdgen

Happy Birthday USA and Pete Zahut!!

• LV101
    LV101

Ditto the USA & Pete Zuhut Birthday wishes - would love to be at the Celebration in Washington - it will be awesome.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit