Happy Alcoholic Jehovah's Witnesses

by The Bethelite 23 Replies latest jw friends

•  The Bethelite
    The Bethelite

For many years since the Witness organization, after I have told people that I'm no longer a Jehovah's Witness, people would say "Oh the religion were people are not allowed to drink!"

"No they drink alright.....they can't do much of anything else but they do drink!"

Yes they do for sure. In fact the first place I ever got drunk was Bethel. Most people know here that at Bethel the booze flows like water. From the top of the organization to the toilet bowl cleaner, most there did some serious self medicating.

After over 50 years in the organization and and 15 congregations I knew many alcoholic "brothers and sisters"

Where as the Witnesses don't cut each other much slack for the slightest infractions for some odd reason when it comes to over drinking most the time the powers that be will look the other way.

And why? Because the powers that be are pounding it down just like everyone else!

I know I was way over drinking when I was "in"

Could you blame us? We were stuck in a very restrictive 1800s religion that believed the end of the world was coming any day!

In fact I only knew of only 2 people ever to get disfellowshipped for over drinking in the 50 years I was in. Was this a coincidence? I think not.

I'm sure there are millions of happy alcoholic Jehovah's Witness who know they could get Disfellowshipped for all kinds of reasons but drunkenness will probably not be one of them!

So leaving the Witnesses was good for my mind and my liver too!

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

We know of an elderly Brother who recently passed away. Well known, well off and had many ties with WT Headquarters. HE WAS A MAJOR ALCOHOLIC. It actually was a big joke how much he drank. Died in his 90's, still an alcoholic. Was anything ever done to him? Was he DF'd? Nope....it's all who you know but little Johnny would get DF'd and loose all of his "friends" and family if he touched a boob or a cigarette . BAM! Abandoned and completely alone! Being a drunk is one of the things you won't get into God's Kingdom for, not touching a boob or smoking a cigarette. HYPOCRISY AT IT'S BEST!!!

• Biahi
    Biahi

My mom, in her eighties, says that’s the only fun they’re allowed to have.

• stillin
    stillin

It is my learned opinion that becoming an alcoholic is the punishment for becoming an alcoholic.

• Rivergang
    Rivergang

I was introduced to alcohol by the "brother" who "brought me into the truth".

Regrettably, I proved to be a very able student!

Talk about a "double" double standard though. As long as one was still standing upright by the end of the evening, this drinking was tolerated as being "in moderation". HOWEVER, one did not ever enter any of the public bars in the district. Being a thinly-populated farming area, you would have been noticed, and "people might think you are an alcoholic". Behind closed doors, though, corks were sprung and the beer flowed freely! (Also, whenever any of the "brothers" travelled to another town where they were not known, the first place they stopped at was the closest pub).

• joe134cd
    joe134cd

You can add Hayden Covington to the list of 2. Was Watchtower’s lawyer, was set to become president of WTBTS, and was a raging chronic alcoholic as well.

• RatherNot
    RatherNot

It was an alcohol related event that led me to opening my eyes.

I got smashed one night with some friends. I dont remember much after ine point but woke up in my recliner at home the next day (wife drove home). Worse hangover ever followed. Missed the meeting.

That Monday in service I'm with the COBE and tell him what happened. I expected a long talk and some follow up and deletion as a pioneer and MS. Instead....he smiles, chuckles and says to be careful. He then gets out like nothing happened.

I come to find out that he is a very heavy drinker himself and regularly drinks himself to sleep and later on admitted to drinking with other "heavies" at lunch during the convention.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

"No they drink alright.....they can't do much of anything else but they do drink!"

Yes drinking alcohol is a part of many JWS lives that I've met.

Taking any other kind of mind altering drugs and you will find yourself counseled.

Heck their spiritual leader GB member Anthony Morris was caught buying a box of whiskey at a local liquor store not too long ago..

Past president of the JWS J Rutherford bought illegal booze during prohibition in the States.

Its the righteous way to get you high and Jesus approved.

• wasone
    wasone

Long ago during my brief stay at Brooklyn Bethel I never really had much money for booze but I will say that two California Bethelites from my congregation introduced me to the joys of a stiff drink. They were delighted to share their bottles as they taught me to down boilermakers ( straight liquor chased with a beer) . Being a naive southern boy I had never heard of such. They had a big laugh watching the boilermakers go straight to my head. Like someone else said what other fun could we have.

• SAHS
    SAHS

Well, I have an actual experience to tell: At the Canadian Bethel, in Georgetown, Ontario, there was around the late 1980s—as told to me by a couple of very prominent Bethelites in the area, Mark Sikorski (from Poland; his father is Ted Sikorski), and Brent Hollenbeck—a “still” used for winemaking (or whatever) which had (legal or otherwise) actually “exploded” during a tour! Whatever the case, there was apparently some consternation of the attendees of that Bethel tour, to be sure! Any any “consequences”? Certainly none at all, as it turned out. (Joseph Franklin Rutherford’s “spirit” is still apparently alive and well among the contemporary Bethel branches!)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit