Have You Ever Experienced God?

by Blueblades 45 Replies latest jw friends

• rocketman
    rocketman

I don't feel I've experienced God at all. What happens is, to me, simply random events.

• azaria
    azaria

?I can only speak for myself. There was a small part of me that thought afterwards what would other people think if I told them. I believe this was a true experience. I didn’t look for it, it just happened. I was in a state of total calm. If this wasn’t real, if God doesn’t exist, then who cares, it felt wonderful. But I do believe in God, to me the proof is everywhere, in nature, in the love for each other. We all strive for spirituality; where does this come from? We do not desire something that doesn’t exist. (food, love, sex, spirituality etc) That the universe just sort of
    happened is something too unimaginable to me.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz
    But I do believe in God, to me the proof is everywhere, in nature

God is everywhere. . .how nice for those of you that he let's experience him. If only he revealed himself to the little girl hiding in the closet hoping her uncle (dad, sister) chooses no to sneak into her room tonight.

Oh geez, I'm sorry. It makes some people feel better to believe. Who am I to rain on your parade?

• Lady Lee
    Lady Lee

Bradley yes they mind has it's own way of interpreting experience.

For me it is the peace and calm in a moment

a oneness with my universe

Whether I call that God or nature or whatever doesn't change it's existence

JMO

• logansrun
    logansrun

azaraia,

I both share your sentiments and am skeptical at the same time. I find mysticism fascinating. Check out the works of Meister Eckhart if you have a chance. He said once, "God doesn't speak to me, but sometimes I hear him clear his voice." That's deep.

On the other hand, we have to be leary of a "pollyanish" view of the natural world. Sure, blue skys, puppies and waterfalls are nice, but parasites, disease, earthquakes and exploding stars are just as much real. It would seem as if nature is neutral with regard pleasure/pain, good/evil. Any longing for spirituality or god might be a vestige of our evolutionary past when these feelings would have had survival value.

Now, this doesn't disprove God in the least. Personally, I don't have faith, but I do hope.

Bradley

• shera
    shera

Stinky,sorry you went threw a lot of crap you didn't deserve. I went threw a lot of garbage growing up and a lot threw my life. You not raining on my parade but you seem to be angry at people who have experinced God or good in their life.

"Sometimes" I feel there cannot be a God,with all the pain and all the innocent children being hurt.There is much evil in the world and I hope you find and let yourself see there is a good higher power out there.

(((stinky)))

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Shera-

I'm not necessarily angry at people that claim to have experienced "god". I'm more angry because these same people seem to see every good thing coming from "god", but everything bad must be from humans. Maybe they just seem selfish to me. Take for example one experience:

the hold of my new-born babes

I know of a lady that after 3 bad, fairly late term miscarriages, and then couldn't have children. Was "god" not looking out for this very sweet woman?

When you ask these people why "god" revealed himself to them and not others, they never know. They simply accept that they are special and that's it. Or they say something like, "It was God's will", or "That person didn't have enough faith".

I have had wonderful things happen to me and I see beauty all around, but that is not "god".

• azaria
    azaria

You’re not raining on my parade Stinky Pantz. I have my doubts at times; I think everyone who is honest will say that sometimes they doubt. I do know that horrible, horrible things happen in this world. I’ve experienced my share. . I don't know why horrible things happen; I don't have the answers. Yet I still believe that there is a God. I believe that He was carrying me when my world was falling apart this past year. I see it in others who have suffered much more than me, yet their faith carried them through. Maybe this is foolishness to some, but not to me.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

Azaria-

Well, my belief in "god" might be resurrected if someone could explain to me (from a nonbiblical standpoint) why these horrendous things happen to many people and yet "god blesses" so many others.

I'm not content with not knowing why "god" does not protect. If you don't know why bad things happen, who's to say that "god" isn't orchestrating it all (good and bad)? How can anyone really, absolutely know?

• ashitaka
    ashitaka

All good and bad things are chance, or the consequences or benefits of our own actions. If attibuting God or Satan to those events makes this a more pleasing life for some people, then more power to them.

For me, realism is the only way. As long as I'm in control, I know what to expect.

ash

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit