Debating With Evolution Deniers is Just Like This

by cofty 218 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Caedes
    Caedes

Vidqun, You had to go to wikipedia and the free dictionary in order to describe your supposed area of expertise? This is not exactly giving the impression of you being any sort of expert. Are you sure you don't just wash the test slides?

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

EdenOne, good observation. Cofty is the expert. He knows all about it. He insists that that was the place the miracle of life started happening, according to one of the books he read. Alas! The formation of new life forms has not been observed. One would have thought they would be able to replicate the process in laboratory conditions. No luck so far. If they do formulate life, then I would be a believer, but then, I know that it's impossible. Life doesn't work like that. Even if it did, the one-celled organism would have to evolve in multi-celled organisms and complex life forms, another impossibility.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Caedes, English is not my mother tongue so I've got to check spelling. As a microbiologist, you constantly do stains, wash slides and cultivate organisms. It's not glamorous at all. The next day you read the plates and identify the organisms. First you look at its colony on the plates. Then you do Gram stains to check whether it is Gram positive or negative. On Gram negatives you do sugar fermetation called API's to identify the organism. Then you prepare the organism on clear plates to check its sensitivity to antibiotics. So, I ask again, what do you expect a Microbiologist to be?

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Which organism would you like to discuss?

• cofty
    cofty

Eden - The atmosphere of the earth 4 billion years ago contained no oxygen therefore the composition of the oceans was also quite different. Modern vents are also teeming with existing lifeforms.

Life will not likely arise a second time on earth. However each of the steps to life is being investigated in labs all over the world.

For almost 2 billion years there were only morphologically simple pokaryotes. If life is discovered on other planets it will probably be bacterial.

• cofty
    cofty

Vidqun it is not unreasonable to expect a professional microbiologist to have a basic knowledge of science. On many occasions you have displayed a staggering ignorance of simple facts.

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Perhaps you are expecting too much. As I said, one is trained in a variety of disciplines but that doesn't make one an expert in any of them. I specialized in Microbiology. Doesn't give me a Noddy Badge, although one has to register at the local Human Resources Council to practice. They give you a practice certificate. You start as a student.

• Caedes
    Caedes
    English is not my mother tongue so I've got to check spelling
    So, I ask again, what do you expect a Microbiologist to be?

That would explain the use of an online dictionary but not the use of wikipedia for a definition of your profession.

I would expect a real scientist to have a good understanding of basic scientific principles and in the case of a microbiologist to have an excellent knowledge of the scientific theory that underpins all of biology. I would also expect a scientist to be very invested in the principle of the scientific process and the value of empirical evidence. If you were a real scientist then you wouldn't be declaring on a public forum that abiogenesis and evolution is impossible. After all if that is true why bother doing science?

• Vidqun
    Vidqun

Caedes, sorry to disappoint. Retired for the last 25 years. So I am not doing Science for a long time. I'm not sure about your background, and if you are aware of it. As a Witness you were not supposed to have ambition at all. Having a degree was bad enough, as though you had leprosy. But that's not important. Water under the bridge. I have other interests now.

As I have discussed at length in other threads, I believe the DNA of a cell nucleus to be an information system, similar to a computer program, just much more advanced than anything we have developed. Scientists examine it with the help of algorithms. It's a relative new science called Bioinformatics. You can read up on it here:

http://phys.org/news/2016-01-scientists-algorithm-dna-faster-accurately.html

This system must adhere to the laws of information. One of the laws says: "Information cannot be produced by non-living matter" (cf. books, CDs, DVDs, etc). The information in and on all of these cannot be generated spontaneously. The book needs a writer and binary information on the discs, in the form of a computer program, needs a programmer). So behind it is an intelligent mind. Intelligent Design leads me to God, the only rational explanation for the phenomenon called DNA.

Feel free to believe what you want. I'm not here to influence your beliefs. This is what I believe to be the truth and feel the need to defend.

• cofty
    cofty
    Feel free to believe what you want - Vidqun

That is your problem right there. Choosing your beliefs is dumb.

Follow the evidence and your "beliefs" will take care of themselves. All of your objections to evolution are based on wilful ignorance.

You started with your superstitious conclusion.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit