Does the governing body know what they are doing?

by Gefangene 50 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Gefangene
    Gefangene

Joe134cd this may be where the rabbit hole runs deeper. There must be other ppl pulling the strings. A friend recently assumed that they may just be marionettes. I also wonder whether they are really true believers.. or if they are just running some kind of show. R. Franz wrote about the way they make decisions over policies and how their articles are being written. It didn't sound like it is really about encouraging and "leading" their followers but more like it is about personal power.

Will we ever know the answers? It's really interesting reading all your opinions. Keep 'em coming :-)

• Hecce
    Hecce

I think that every version of WT leaders, including the present GB worked under the assumption that they knew what they were doing. Past history shoes how mistaken they were; the actual leaders didn't participate in building the Empire and they don't have much doubts about dismantling it.

It is very possible, almost a certainty that they are following advice from some outsiders, maybe even commercial advisers. I don't see too much foresight in what they are doing and it is possible that the effects will be seen not by us but by the next generation that will see a complete different religion.

In the process they are discarding the old generation of JWs.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

I think the GB are delusional narcissists on a power trip, in love with their own refection, as well as the sound of their own voice (which desribes any elder really). They think they are carrying out God's will and they were chosen by Jesus to do so. Which is exactly why they are so dangerous.They are at the top of the pyramid of power and that means they have access to more information than anyone below them, but are they just a false front, useful idiots for some other string-puller?

Who knows and I doubt we will ever know for sure.

• Calebs Airplane
    Calebs Airplane

Frederick Franz was the architect of all the theocratic drivel that carried the Watchtower into the 21st century. But now, all they have is Splaining Splane and a brain dead writing department (or should I say the Copy & Paste Dept).

• Wild_Thing
    Wild_Thing

I personally believe that the governing body totally believes their own bull$---. But I also believe that their over inflated sense of importance blinds them to how crazy and arrogant they really are. When they talk about serving "Jehovah" and giving your all to "Jehovah", I'm pretty sure they're talking about themselves.

• shadow
    shadow

No way that anyone could really believe overlapping generation Doctrine

• Listener
    Listener

To come up with an idea like the generation teaching show they do have an agenda, but the delusional men justify it. Jesus gave the commission to keep on the watch and they justify their wrong dates and speculation on doing their job of keeping the sheep on the edge of their seats in anticipation. That's why they don't apologize, because they feel they were ultimately doing what they were commissioned and their mistakes are just a means to an end, done with the best of intentions and sincerity.

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

In a way, they remind me of rich kids who inherited the family business from their hard working, self sacrificing Grandfather who built the business from the bottom up. They like wearing nice suits, wearing pinky rings, being treated like celebrities wherever they go and they like the idea of being influential businessmen but it sure appears they haven't a clue about what it took to get the organization where it is today.

As I said in another post, they have been given a prestigious job to do and a role to play and have become overly "officious" about it. Since the simpler, grass roots days of the "International Bible Students" the WT organization has taken on a life of it's own. The current leaders are riding along on a freight train that was put in motion back in the day when people were quite gullible about what those in positions of power were really up to. In the early days of the Bible Students, they offered information to the public and answered questions from readers. Before long they began thinking of themselves as the final authority on all things Biblical and that's when this business of running the religion as if were the nation of Israel, began.

Things have changed, printing isn't what it used to be and the general public isn't afraid to ask questions of those in authority. I think todays GB may really believe in what they are doing but their "officiousness" has caused them to become unnecessarily bureaucratic, providing unwanted, unrequested and unnecessary advice and services and they have become meddlesome in their followers personal relationship with God and in their personal lives.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

I believe they have deluded themselves and think they speak for God. At the same time they have a vested interest in maintaining their power and prestige in the little pond in which they swim. No doubt they have had do things that would surprise the average JW.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

Are they only some uber religious zealots or do they pursue hidden agendas beyond religiosity?

No.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit