What's worse, 2 week old getting nearly 100 rat bites and living, or Jesus' torture and death?

by FatFreek 2005 11 Replies latest social current

• FatFreek 2005
    FatFreek 2005

Some 35 miles from here, in the small town of Magnolia, AR, a teen couple is in trouble -- as they should be -- for allowing their 2 week old girl, a 5 pound baby, to suffer nearly 100 bites from rats. One of the bites was so large and deep it required plastic surgery. I don't want to even think about the horror this teeny creature felt during those instances -- and the horrible nightmares she may suffer in years to come.

I wonder if this is one of those human experiences that may be worse than what Christ suffered on that stake. I also think about prisoners of war and how some were treated before being put to death -- pulling out their fingernails comes to mind. The millions during the holocaust is another event that comes to mind.

We've all been taught about the ultimate sacrifice that Jesus went through. Do you think that it was the ultimate?

Len

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

While I believe that Jesus probably existed, that he had followers and that he did eventually die, I don't think that he ever thought he was a ransom sacrifice I don't believe he ever claimed it and I don't believe that even if he had gone through everything that is said he did that it would begin to touch for any humans have gone through whether in this time or in historic past.

Had he gone through what is claimed or 30 times more I don't think that that would do the trick that everybody is trying to say it does. I would not think that an Almighty God would need such a sacrifice nor would I think that any human being could provide it. I think the premise of a ransom sacrifice is particularly insane

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Ransome sacrice? It's human sacrifice to placate the angry God's, by any other name.

Whilst I think many have suffered at least as much - burning on the stake comes to mind, something that " gods" people apparently did With wayward daughters - I think the real issue is that Jesus was only dead for a couple of days. What is that time period to an immortal God? He can hardly say he " sacrificed" his son (in the way that Abraham would have done for instance) since he can metaphorically ' click' his fingers and his son is alive. In what way is that a ' sacrifice'? If you believe the story Judas was more of a sacrifice, since it was preordained Jesus must be given over to the authorities. Someone had to do it, or you don't have a ransome, and that patsy was poor old Judas the eternally damned.

• smiddy
    smiddy

If he did live and suffered the crucifixion as depicted in the Bible ,it would have certainly been a traumatic event to go through.

However ,

History has shown that many people have gone through what I would consider much more traumatic experiences before succuming to death whether they have been victims of serial killers ,murderers who tortured their victims in agganizing ways .

How about being boiled alive in water or oil.

Being burned alive at the stake .

Being continually ducked under water in a pond because you were considered a witch.

Do yourself a favour and read up on the atrocities committed to Prisoners of War in Japanese camps during world war two for example ( e.g. burying men alive with just their heads above ground and using their heads as footballs to repeatedly kick ),{ shoving a water hose down a mans throat bloating his stomach to a humongous size and then stomping/jumping on it as entertainment.}

Jesus death was a piece of cake compared to what other people have endured over the centuries.

So Len , its terrible what this 2 week old girl went through / suffered ,while painfull she was not of an age to comprehend what was happening to her ,on the other hand the examples I have given,and you gave , they were fully conscious and aware what was going on

So in answer to your question I would say NO

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather
    We've all been taught about the ultimate sacrifice that Jesus went through. Do you think that it was the ultimate?

There is a difference between 'Ultimate Sacrifice' and 'Ultimate Suffering'

The child who went through the sad experience can be classified as ultimate suffering, but not ultimate sacrifice.

Was Jesus death the ultimate suffering? No. There are people who went through much pain and suffering than what Jesus went through. But yes, Jesus' death was the ultimate sacrifice.

• never a jw
    never a jw

"Jesus' death was the ultimate sacrifice."

Drearyweather

How does that work? Try explaining in a rational way without resorting to the apostle Paul contrivances.

How did anyone benefit from that sacrifice? We get far greater benefit from many scientists who gave up many of their personal pleasures to give us many medical procedures that have extended and improved our lives. Jesus' death didn't improve humanity one iota. If anything, it delayed improvements to our lives for 2,000 years (Christianity's rise and ongoing slow decline)

• waton
    waton

torture and death? , how about the just sentenced native german lady that killed her lover who was expecting an orgasm , but was instead feeling being cut with an electric circular (skil) saw? At least "jesus" expected the pain and then the euphoria of an immortal spiritual resurrection, instead of a fatal, cut short erection.

• ElderEtta
    ElderEtta
    its terrible what this 2 week old girl went through / suffered ,while painfull she was not of an age to comprehend what was happening to her

And what exactly is the age of comprehension?

• Simon
    Simon

Jesus death wasn't even the ultimate sacrifice. He gave up life for a couple of afternoons, that's it. In return he becomes super lord of the universe? Yeah, big "give up" right there.

What about soldiers who dies trying to liberate towns in WWII ... who gave up their only life trying to save others? People that they never knew and never would meet?

There is real, genuine, selfless sacrifice ... and then there's Jesus.

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

How does that work? Try explaining in a rational way without resorting to the apostle Paul contrivances.

I am a human being in captivity of death. The Bible says that Jesus gave his life as a ransom and that I will get everlasting life in God's kingdom if I believe in him and that I will be resurrected if i die before it comes. This thought makes me feel better and I choose to believe it. You can choose to believe otherwise if you want.

How did anyone benefit from that sacrifice?

I don't want to say how others have benefited. For me, Jesus life, his activities and his sacrifice have helped me to become a better person, give up bad habits and live a good life.

We get far greater benefit from many scientists who gave up many of their personal pleasures to give us many medical procedures

Yes, I appreciate what they have done. But I don't compare Jesus with scientists. Believing in Jesus does not mean that I automatically discredit what other great men have done. As I told, for me personally, Jesus was the ultimate, rest all come next. You can believe otherwise.

Jesus' death didn't improve humanity one iota.

Don't know about others. It did improve my life.

If anything, it delayed improvements to our lives for 2,000 years

I don't feel so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit