What's worse, 2 week old getting nearly 100 rat bites and living, or Jesus' torture and death?

by FatFreek 2005 11 Replies latest social current

• never a jw
    never a jw

Drearyweather,

You missed the part where I said "rational". Your arguments are purely emotional, subjective

• Drearyweather
    Drearyweather

never a jw,

You missed the part where I said "rational". Your arguments are purely emotional, subjective

Just to clarify, I was not providing any argument, but my personal opinion on your question.

I would have given you a rational reply if the subject being discussed was about Albert Einstein, Isaac Newton or Mahatma Gandhi.

Jesus, Krishna, Buddha, etc are figures that carry a personal and emotional weight for religious people. For historians or atheists, they are merely subjects for study and debate.

When I said that "Jesus gave the ultimate sacrifice", I was not stating an academic fact, but was giving my opinion on why I consider Jesus to be a real person and why I consider his sacrifice as the ultimate one based on my personal experiences and reading of the Bible.

Is the response emotional, subjective? Yes, because as a religious person, I consider this topic on a personal level. That's my perception which may be different from others. In India, there is a section of people who literally worship Mr. Babasaheb Ambedkar for what he has done to them. Other people may argue and debate about him, but for these people, his contribution to their personal lives matter the most and that's why they choose to revere him.

To give an example, I/We have made the statement that "My mom is the best" or "My Dad is a superhero". Obviously, this doesn't mean that other mothers and fathers are not good; neither does it mean that a child has done a thorough study of all other parents in the world and has come to this conclusion about his own parents. Such statements are based on personal experiences and cannot be rationally proved or if I put it, doesn't need to be proved.

According to me, Family and Religion are two topics which are personal to people and thus it needs two qualities that may not always be possible or may not be necessary to rationally explain or prove: Love and Faith.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit