How Many Here Remember Hearing Details from the Platform on Why a Person was Reproved or DF'd ???

by RubaDub 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

I just had this flashback when commenting on another thread about how they used to announce reproof or DFing from the platform. At least in our congregation, it was a dramatic event (this is what I can remember from back in the mid-late 60's or early 70's when I was a kid).

At the end of the Service Meeting, just before singing the final song, the brother would announce, "We have a letter that must be read."

The "Congregation Servant" (my grandfather or later my father) would then slowly walk from the back of the KH to the platform. We had these wooden floors and they would make a creaking sound as you would walk. But you could hear a pin drop from a mile away. It was actually eerie.

Then he would read that so and so has been reproved or DF'd. He would specifically mention the reason, typically fornication.

Then he would read another paragraph or something and then state the names of the three brothers on the committee (normally the congregation servant, assistant and field service servant or possibly the school servant).

In any case, he would give the details and dates. Then, he would walk off the platform, again slowly, walk to the back of the KH and it seemed like they would not start the song until he has all the way to the back.

It was quite the experience. I don't know if other congregations did it the same way but it was quite a dramatic event.

Rub a Dub

• WingCommander
    WingCommander

They ended this in the late 70's, early 80's.

• Jehalapeno
    Jehalapeno

I remember it from the early 80's.

Mid 80's they simplified it into two different announcements: one for disfellowshippings and a different one for disassociations.

Then, in the 90's, it was just one announcement. "So-and-so are no longer a Jehovah's Witness."

As recently as 2015 (the last year I attended), they would still give a talk during that month's local needs section related to the particular sin.

I vividly remember at least three of the local needs parts given in months where I was already aware of what someone was being disciplined for. Apostasy, Wife Swapping, Adultery.

• snugglebunny
    snugglebunny

Yes indeed. Heard my own PO father read out the misdoings of a 15 year-old girl - fornication of course - and the restrictions that she was now under. The list was long and even included how much TV she was allowed to watch and what time she had to be in bed (no joke intended).

• sir82
    sir82

Did the "publicly announce the sin of the guilty one" thing last into the 80s? I definitely remember it, but I thought it had stopped some time in the 70s.

• Simon
    Simon

They stopped announcing it directly, but they still kind of telegraphed it - as they'd often have a "local needs" talk that was coincidentally on the exact topic of the person's 'guilt'

"We are sorry to announce that Brother Weirdigan is no longer one of Jehovahs Witnesses. Now, a local-needs talk about the sin of sheep-shagging ..."

• Spiral
    Spiral

I can remember the brother using the phrase "so-and-so is disfellowshipped for conduct unbecoming a Christian".

Then, a week later, there would be a local needs talk about fornication, or something scandalous. So, you knew (assuming you hadn't heard already) what the deal was. The talks would sometimes be full of detail. The innocent mate would be sniffling in the back. Creepy and disgusting, really.

I also remember hearing that the previous practice of giving a reason was stopped because some people sued the congregation for slander. Not sure if that's true.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i remember hearing my pioneer partner's older brother being d/f for adultery. that would be about 1963.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

"We are sorry to announce that Brother Weirdigan is no longer one of Jehovahs Witnesses. Now, a local-needs talk about the sin of sheep-shagging ..."

Simon ...

You got it right! That's true but funny.

After the fear of being sued, they simply read the letter and then shortly thereafter had a local needs talk which basically gave the details of what you should not do.

It was a farce.

Rub a Dub

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

At least in our congregation, my father (PO or whatever they called it then) had the courtesy to read the public reproof of two people for adultery in the congregation on two separate service meetings.

Everybody knew who it was, but at least my father was trying to put a shine on it.

Rub a Dub

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit