California Fires-Contact from elders

by SouthCentral 11 Replies latest jw friends

• SouthCentral
    SouthCentral

The fires have been hitting many areas of Los Angeles lately. Recently, I checked my home voicemail and noticed messages from several elders. They were calling everyone on their “books” to ensure that they were OK.

I assume this is the protocol for a natural disaster. We Had our publisher cards moved to a distant congregation… And then stop going to the meetings about four years ago. I thought this was the ultimate

”fade”

I was still very surprised they reached out.

One said… “If you don’t return our call, will have to stop by!”

Of course, that made me I respond!

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Using the event as an opportunity to call on ones who haven't been seen at the KH for awhile.

JWS and the word pretentiousness are synonymous

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

“If you don’t return our call, will have to stop by!”

My response would be...." you can stop by but it doesn't mean that I am going to answer the door."

The main intention of any uber dub JW is to re engage you. Get you "back on track or back on board the JW train."

NOT GONNA HAPPEN NO MATTER HOW MUCH "LOVE" YOU SHOW ME!!! Life is just way to short to let this group back into my life. Enjoying life way too much to let the drones in again.

• blondie
    blondie

If you haven't changed your phone number, then changing to a congregation may not matter. I have seen that BOEs are very lax in regard to keeping their data up to date on their "sheep." I have found that one elder many times has no idea what the other elders are doing and vice versa.

• jp1692
    jp1692

Funny, they never contact me and I live in one of the areas hit by the fires this week and last year.

In fact, I live less than 500 feet from the Mandatory Evacuation Zone of the Easy Fire this week. My wife and I spent the entire day Tuesday in our house waiting to see if we had to evacuate. We didn't, but we were ready with our car loaded with clothes, a "go bag" and other essentials just in case.

FYI: I was a JW for over 25 years in this area and an elder for over 20. It's been six years since I have quit attending meetings, but I still live in the same house I've lived in for over eight years.

They don't give a fuck about us that have left. If they contact us at all, it's only a show for the sake of appearances in front of the other elders.

Let's review: It's a cult!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Hell, they don't even contact us to invite us to the Memorial!

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

You didn't say if these "elders" knew previously, but I'd say that it was a case of their files not being up to date and they were calling everyone from an old list.

There was a Youtube video going around of a former prominent elder who left the organization and several years later he was called by someone from another hall to come and give a substitute talk because his name was still on an old list. So he did an "apostate" version of a Sunday talk and got booted off the stage about half way through.

• staypuft
    staypuft

I would say it's benign/bad record keeping. In 20+ years of fading I have yet to have a CO engage me directly, even the ones who have come to my house for lunch. If they were looking to shepherd the flock, there are much easier ways.

• SouthCentral
    SouthCentral

When I went to the congregation in my neighborhood… The elders would stop by prior to every circuit overseer visit (twice a year). I would never share my true feelings, I would just let them count their 20 minutes of time and move on. This was VERY frustrating to them because they wanted a reason that I had stopped going to the hall. I would just blame it on a demand job. I had a good relationship with many of them.

At this new KH, I’d only went once to a meeting… My wife went a few times more times, so they don’t know us.

i did not change my number, because we never really use our house telephone. It’s a relic we really don’t use. We live about 15 miles from the KH, which is a long way in Los Angeles. Not really worth the trip for strangers.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister
    JP 1692 My wife and I spent the entire day Tuesday in our house waiting to see if we had to evacuate. We didn't, but we were ready with our car loaded with clothes, a "go bag" and other essentials just in case.

It seems to me Satan's good 'ol State cares more for the sheep than watchtower

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit