DISFELLOWSHIPPING, How bad is it really?

by pistolpete 36 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JHINE:

Yes, I can certainly believe many disfellowshipped or needy JWs have gotten help from the churches of Christendom. Thank heaven for these churches!..Also, its interesting about your interest in the JW religion as you have revealed you never were one. I was raised Roman Catholic.

It is truly most tragic the fallacies floating around in JWs heads. This idea that they are ‘going to be taken care of’ is probably the worst. I remember this being said to me when I was a young twenty-something. Thankfully, I let this go in one ear and out the other. I noticed all these older people had pensions and were in the workforce when younger! So, Why would I NOT be?

In all fairness though, it is also true that some JWs sleepwalk through their experience with no problems. My observation was that everybody is not ‘damaged’ and some have a great life.

I suspect the reason is because these JWs kept their business to themselves and sensibly did what they had to - and above all were not gullible enough to ever believe they ‘didn’t need a decent job or to plan for their future’!

• jhine
    jhine

So did you join the WT for a while ?

I gained an interest in JWs during doorstep chats when l realised how screwed some of their doctrine, not to mention their methods , are .

I actually learned a lot myself because sometimes l knew what they were saying was wrong but couldn't show them precise Biblical evidence to prove it .

So l dug deeper to find answers to their erroneous arguments.

Jan

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JHINE:

Yes I did..I stayed there far longer than I should have and I put up with a lot of bullsh#t. Got grief because I wouldn’t quit my full time job and was criticized over my figure. I was labeled as ‘not spiritual’ and they made sure I was hardly invited anywhere. Of course, this means nothing now.

It was the 1995 changed teaching on Generation that made me leave.

I can’t stress enough that single women back then were really targeted to pursue poverty more than anybody else in my opinion! ..This is unforgivable as far as I am concerned and not being raised a JW might have saved me..I stayed in the workforce until I Retired and I never forgot my father’s sensible advice!

I might have been in a very bad predicament now and needing help from Christendom. I would certainly be Out Of Luck if I expected the JWs to help me!

• Yomama
    Yomama

Super bad

• JW GoneBad
    JW GoneBad

Disfellowshipping, How bad is it really?

Answer: Brutto...Mal...Malo!

• jhine
    jhine

LGH , their treatment of women really does seem appalling. I remember talking to an Elder about the Bible and he was so dismissive. I thought then that it was just because l wasn't a JW but l realise now it was also because l am a woman .

Jan

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

JHINE:

The bad impression you got from this elder probably saved you from making a mistake.

On the topic of disfellowshipping: if a couple in the JW religion commits ‘immorality’ ..the woman is more likely to be disfellowshipped than the man. Doesn’t matter if she’s ‘repentant’.

As for me: I was never reproved for immorality but was scrutinized like crazy. I was viewed negatively because these people could never get anywhere with me. I wouldn’t quit my full time job and do housecleaning and favors for all the Users in the congregation. This was the ‘role’ they wanted single women to follow. I wasn’t having it..Any single woman who did (if she never got married)..usually ended up impoverished and/or on disability.. This seemed to be a pattern with maybe an exception here and there.

Yes, this is what is held out for women there. (You don’t see this mentioned too much on the forum and I think I am one of few women who comment on this.)

I credit luck and my non-JW upbringing for helping me not to succumb to pressure there and keep my anchor to Reality!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit