How Would You Help A JW. Recognize They Do Not Have The Truth?

by minimus 32 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

Every Witness says they are “ in the Truth”. That expression implies that what they say is the “truth “.

How could you help a Witness understand that they clearly do not have “The Truth “?

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

We tried. You can't. They have to come to their own conclusion.

We don't really discuss it with family anymore, it does not go well. Now, if anything is brought up, we may just make small comments like, "well, that wasn't very loving or that wasn't a very Christian thing to do." They don't say much. Everything is "Satan this and Satan that." It's just not worth the frustration anymore.

• Charles Gillette
    Charles Gillette

Hi Mini! Two questions. What is the most important scripture in Watchtower theology?

What is the most important event in Watchtower history?

They may know the answer or they may not. Either way if the conversation has their interest we can continue from there.

Notice there is no apostate question here. The question ultimately will reveal to them whether they have the truth or not by their own answers and follow through.

That cuts to the chase and no time is wasted by letting them do the speaking and come up with the right answers.

However, for some cognitive dissonance may affect the actual results for them.

This i have learned from Don Cameron.

Blueblades

• ohnightdivine
    ohnightdivine

I agree with ToesUp.

They have to come to a point where they open their eyes and say, "So I was asleep all along?".

They have to experience something that will make them do a double-take and ask, "Really?".

We can only be there to listen to them and throw some non-confrontational questions,

or just think out loud something quite trivial as being slightly tired instead of being motivated after a study, etc.

If they have even the slightest real desire for what is true, what is just, what is right, and what is kind,

somehow their heart will open up.... I hope.

• nowwhat?
    nowwhat?

When we were in, we couldn't convince other people to change their religion. Same goes for jw's.

• What Now?
    What Now?

I think of some old friends of ours who very strongly disagree with the watchtowers stance on higher education. They are adamant that their children will receive university educations.

So my question to them would be, if there’s already one thing that you disagree with, why not examine the doctrines and practices and see if there are more things? Then suddenly if there’s two or three or more things that you find yourself disagreeing with or not really believing in your heart, at what point can you still say that you believe this is the truth ?

• eyeuse2badub
    eyeuse2badub

Living a very happy and productive life without the "troof" is about the only way your close friends and family members will even consider that they "may" not have da troof!

just saying!

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

It's a multifaceted process with rarely a shortcut. They may notice one thing wrong, or agree with another, but with each disturbing thing there are 5 more pre-programmed excuses, cliches, fallacies or distractions. It's only when the evidence adds up to the point that it outweighs the excuses or outright contradicts them that a person may wake up. But even then, they have to actually remember what they've learned so far, and many are psychologically unable, or unwilling to do so.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte

The problem here is that you are assuming that JWs want the truth while most of them simply want to be in "the truth" (tm).

So, even when exposed to damming information, most of them will ignore it.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Steps to getting out were simple. I thought the blood ban was wrong. A needless and very dangerous life taking doctrine. I knew i would never submit to that let alone my wife and child.

Then there was Armageddon. How selfish the JW religion and it's followers were claiming that only they would be saved. How anxiously the JW's were for 8 billion people to die.

Those two doctrines were at the core of the JW movement. Once you pulled those two threads then all of their strange beliefs unravel.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit