Assembly Food

by El Kabong 50 Replies latest jw friends

• El Kabong
    El Kabong

What are some of the foods you remember being served at District and Circuit Assemblies.

I remember every Sunday was roast chicken.

Also I remember them serving Knockwurst and Saurkraut. What a wonderful noon meal. Gas attacks in the seats to go with the gas that was spewing from the platform.

Anybody else remember some of the food that was served at the assemblies?

• shamus
    shamus

LMAO!!!!

Yes. The problem here is that when I was in the org, the very year they simplified their food services. Our food consisted of pre-made sandwiches, pudding (with no spoons), and a drink. It was quite repulsive, and if you went out for lunch, you were a HEATHEN. (seriously). They made us eat there, b/c they would order enough food to feed everyone there - and thats it.

The problem is that on Sunday, they ALWAYS ran out of food - b/c so many people were there. Then the homeless people started coming in and eating - then, last I heard they made you bring your own lunch.

All is what I can say is LUNCH SUCKED BIG TIME WHEN I WAS IN THE ORG.

• nowisee
    nowisee

a segmented aluminum or tin tray.

mashed potatoes, meatloaf, some boiled to death stringbeans, a few lettuce leaves, some gelatin with fruit. and awful koolaid punch.

i was on that assembly line spooning out those mashed potatoes more times than i would like to remember! but i always gave a fair share.

• hippikon
    hippikon

The loaves and fishes were awful. The bread was stale and the fish had been out in the sun for days.

• Sunspot
    Sunspot

Oh YEAH!!! First they would announce that "since we've all traveled all this way to be with our brothers, it would be advantageous to spend the entire sessions here and enjoy the fine fellowship", so that anyone choosing to leave the building for lunch, were so conspicuous and you felt like crawling out on your hands and knees during the song while everyone was standing!

I totally resented being told that we shouldn't leave at the lunch break. That "control" thing with me again!

THEN, you could always look forward to a sumptuous feast of VERY dry and almost meatless chicken in tinfoil, delightful Shasta lime soda, and whatever was thrown at us as dessert.

Have you ever had to chew your orange juice at breakfast cuz it was still frozen 10 minutes before the session began?

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Yep, I remember all of the bad food, but I remember really great fried chicken and goat stew in St. Croix. And me and Mom making 300 cupcakes for one of the circuit assemblies. Dear Sister Victoria Richards, daughter of a freed slave, who like her mother lived to be over 100 years old, would show up at the assemblies carrying her Bible, songbook, apron, and large cast iron frying pan. Yummy stuff! The goat stew was pretty good too. I remember hearing that they had to have someone from Bethel come down and personally order them to do the sandwiches because no one was used to eating a cold meal for lunch. Simply wasn't the custom and they stubbornly continued the hot meals until the Bethel guy blasted them out. I haven't heard, but they may have just smiled and nodded while he was there and then brought out the frying pan after he left.

Nina

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Goat stew, when done right, is very good.

• Jade
    Jade

I just remember soggy hoggie sandwhiches

Jade

• freedom96
    freedom96

Frozen orange juice was good because then I had something to work on instead of paying attention to the assembly.

The burritos wrapped in foil, the fruit bags, the generic cola, danish.

Remember the prepaid books with 10 cent coupons?

The best as a kid in the late 70's was the possible ice cream malt after the assembly.

I always felt those who worked in the kitchen were lucky, as they did not have to sit through the boring ass assembly as much.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Mmmmm this brings back memories.

Credit where its due, I just loved those chicken curries they used to serve. I remember those useless food tokens you had to buy.... does anybody know why ? Why couldn't we just pay with money ?!!?!?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit