Another silly Bible story....Joshua and the killing hailstones

by RULES & REGULATIONS 40 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    Joshua 10:11

And it came to pass, as they fled from before Israel, and were in the going down to Bethhoron, that the LORD cast down great stones from heaven on them to Azekah, and they died: they were more which died with hailstones than they whom the children of Israel slew with the sword.

Looks like the Amorites came to the battle only wearing helmets. They somehow forgot to bring their shields.
    Shields that would have been used to deflect arrows, would have been effective against deflecting hailstones.
    I guess the Bible authors thought the Amorite soldiers were just naked in the field.
  • Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

and they died: they were more which died with hailstones than they whom the children of Israel slew with the sword.

This is one of those stories that makes no mention of how many Israelites were killed in the process and leads the reader to assume that none were.

I guess the Bible authors thought the Amorite soldiers were just naked in the field.

Not quite naked...they were wearing helmets and yellow skirts (apparently even they knew that a vertically striped skirt would be more flattering than a horizontally striped one).

• Half banana
    Half banana

In the Bible the more death, the better the story...... it's why Armageddon is so forceful but completely untrue.

• JoenB75
    JoenB75

I guess it comes down to the size of the hailstones

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

The Bible always seems to give the death of the Israelites as zero when its a war Jehovah blesses .

Obviously its not though when you consider the death of Bathsheba`s husband .

• waton
    waton
    I guess it comes down to the size of the hailstones

J: Hailstones are made like onions, layer by layer of freezing water in updrafts to the sub-zero cold heights. The biggest hailstones in the bible would have to rise and fall at 300 km /hour. Faster and way bigger than the stone that killed Goliath.

Works well, just dont dare keep the gold from the Levites, (or their modern counterpart) like Achan, or you will be aching, not the Amorites right?

• tiki
    tiki

Is that a picture from one of their publications or website? If so, quite bizarre.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS
    tiki
    Is that a picture from one of their publications or website?

No! I took that illustration from a Google search. It's meant to show how silly the Joshua story is. If they were in a battle, the shields would be able to protect every soldier from the falling hailstones. Everyone would form a circle and hold up their shields together. In this silly story, their shields are nowhere to be seen!

• EverApostate
    EverApostate
    that the LORD cast down great stones from heaven on them to Azekah

Seems the Lord is quite talented in throwing stones from so far away. Has a truckload of stones in heaven

• tiki
    tiki

Ahh...thanks RaR..., those battle or skirmish stories do sometimes seem a tad illogical?!?

But given some of the stuff the cult puts out I thought perhaps theyd decided to do a comic book for kids and this was one of the frames.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit