Samuel Herd's statement about donations and Cialdini's social proof

by slimboyfat 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yeah definitely, they're good at it. Does it just come naturally?

Scarcity big time: Like how they make "qualifying" to be a pioneer a big deal, and threaten to remove the "privilege" of essentially working for them for nothing, if you don't meet their criteria.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

4thgen - "They probably hired a publicist and the publicity agent came up with the wording."

Pretty sure that, by now, they have full-time JW loyalist publicists and publicity agents working for them in-house.

• xjwsrock
    xjwsrock
    ยท Commitment & Consistency (people behave consistently with their commitments). - newyork44m

They do this 24/7.

Field Service, Theocratic Ministry School, Demonstrations, Experiences, Commenting, Bible Studies, Monthly time reporting, Baptism, Answering those questions in front of the assembly at baptism, etc.

They are committing and recommitting every time they do any of these activities. It's one of their biggest control techniques IMO.

• JustVisting
    JustVisting

@NewYork44M:

"Social proof", is that when someone yells "fire" in a movie theater and people will remain in their seat when they see that everyone else remains seated?

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Good point, I agree , people always want to be with the "winning team". And it's not just social proof, we are also dealing with the fact that they claim to be led by God. They simply cannot afford to have people think they miscalculated or made a mistake, as it proves they are not specially appointed and being directed by God.

It's also ridiculous, they started projects they now cannot finish, wasting money on half built buildings. They are trying to put a good face on it, but that is not good financial management, they just screwed up, only a deluded cult member wouldn't know that. Unfortunately there are a lot of deluded cult members.

• truthseeker100
    truthseeker100

Lisa: It's also ridiculous, they started projects they now cannot finish, wasting money on half built buildings. They are trying to put a good face on it, but that is not good financial management, they just screwed up, only a deluded cult member wouldn't know that. Unfortunately there are a lot of deluded cult members.

Reminds me of the fall of the Soviet Union.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

truthseeker100 - "Reminds me of the fall of the Soviet Union."

I knew there was something familiar about it.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

Of course the WTS knows it's not the rank-and-file's fault...

x

...they're as generous as they can be with the limited income that their WT-ideology-truncated education enables them to earn.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit