Samuel Herd's statement about donations and Cialdini's social proof

by slimboyfat 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Samuel Herd made a statement a few weeks ago about halting construction work, laying off bethel workers and reducing printing output: severe cutbacks all round. He said, like the head of a household, the GB has to make sure the organisation is living within its means. But he added a very careful phrase, something like: "be assured brothers these measures have not been taken as a result of any lack of financial support on your part. You have been very generous."

Having read a couple of books by Professor Cialdini on influence I understand that social proof is one of the biggest, probably the biggest influence on human behaviour. Basically it means humans "follow the herd", look for clues as to how others are reacting to a situation, and do likewise.

Maybe the GB are aware of this very important influence on human psychology and it informed their carefully worded statement. They realised that if they said donations were down or financial support was disappointing, psychologically this would be received as a message that other Witnesses are donating less, and probably therefore I should donate less as well. Or even: why should I donate more if everyone else is donating less?

So, even if donations are down, and the GB are worried about that, they might feel they had to pretend donations are keeping steady, in order not prompt yet further falls in donations by generating unhelpful "social proof".

• tim3l0rd
    tim3l0rd
    So, beat the sheep for not stepping up in the congregation, not doing more, etc., but don't beat them up for donations as it might harm our supply of money!
  • sir82
    sir82
    The GB (or at least, their speechwriters) are fantastically skilled at wording things "just so", to achieve the desired effect on loyal JWs.
  • xjwsrock
    xjwsrock

Well they already chastised the flock in the May broadcast. So it isn't like they are above it, but I get your point. I think it may be accomplishing two things. It's reinforcing the positive (donating) - similar to what you mentioned in the OP - and it's a veiled way of saying "This isn't about not having enough money".

Of course it is about that, but the WT loves to pee on your leg and call it rain.

• Oubliette
    Oubliette

Interesting ideas. Obviously something is up. The GB's latest messages are internally inconsistent and don't match with their current actions.

Here is a link to Cialdini's Unofficial Fan Website:

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

humans "follow the herd", look for clues as to how others are reacting to a situation, and do likewise - I think you have a point.

Remember when some plan or financial arrangement was announced from the platform and put to a congregational vote? Well, either the question was framed in such a way as to be obvious which the 'correct' way to vote was, or I'd look around, see when others put their hand up and copied them.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse
    Ok so, I had to notice. "Follow the herd", used by Samuel Herd. ;-)
  • neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    Maybe the GB are aware of this very important influence on human psychology and it informed their carefully worded statement.

Nah, I think they're a bunch of buffoons. Any similarities are strictly coincidental.

• Listener
    Listener
    There was a reason Herd read out a letter, the wording had to be exactly right. It was very calculated.
  • paul from cleveland
    paul from cleveland

Yes, I think that's true. Also, I think it's human nature to want to live up to a good reputation.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit