Is the Watchtower out of Blessings?

by jst2laws 12 Replies latest watchtower bible

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

I thought this point might have been covered in the March 1, 2003 WT but in searching I could find no reference to the issue. So I apologize in advance if this point has already been wxhausted.

While at Bethel in the 60’s I met Hayden Covington. I met him in his home congregation in NY as he had actually left Bethel some time before this (thrown out for excessive drinking according to old Ben Gier). But I admired him because he had successfully argued and won so many cases before the US Supreme Court. I truly believed this was clear evidence that Jehovah was blessing the Watchtower organization.

So did the Watchtower:

*** w86 3/15 p. 25 Divine Deliverance From Genocide ***

Lesson for Us: Like the Jews of Esther’s day, Jehovah’s Witnesses properly appeal to governments and courts for protection from enemies. Especially during World War II was it necessary to do this because of the clergy-inspired attacks against God’s people. With Jehovah’s blessing, many major court battles have been won.

*** w65 9/1 p. 528 Jehovah Blesses the Putting of His Kingdom First ***

12 Further testifying to Jehovah’s blessing upon these Christians are the many legal battles they have fought and won in many lands in their efforts to defend and legally establish the good news

Then I lost my “faith” and it appears so did the Watchtower.

March 1, 2003 page 17

And we work to defend and legally establish the good news. However, we do not put our whole trust in such efforts, in that we do not view success or failure as hanging on our winning court cases or getting favorable publicity. Rather, we trust in Jehovah.

So in 1986 it is “with Jehovah’s blessing” that they win court battles but now in 2003 they seem to be bracing for some powerful and embarrassing losses.

WHAT HAPPENED TO JEHOVAH’S BLESSING?

IF THEY WON BATTLES WITH JEHOVAH’S BLESSING DOES NOT THE LOSS OF COURT BATTLES MEAN LIKEWISE THE LOSS OF JEHOVAH’S BLESSING?

Jst2laws

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Just2Laws,

lol....More verbal volleying from the Doctrinal Tennis Association.

When you live in a black-and-white world where white can be black, or indeed black can be white, it is just a matter of time before the negative becomes positive and they then whiteout the blackout.

Best regards - HS

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

You need to adjust your thinking a little bit.

If they win a court battle, it is evidence of God's backing.

If they lose a court battle, it is persecution, which is evidence of God's backing.

• hippikon
    hippikon

Who is old Ben Gier? Is the information reliable?

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hillary,

Yep. They did this a couple of years ago on the international growth statistics too. What do you think HS, are they bracing for some big losses?

RunningMan,

You are right, thank you for the correction.

Hippikon,

Ben was an antique at Bethel. He came to Bethel just after WWI. He spent his life there and got dumped on the whole time because he spoke his mind. He did not have many friends because of his acid mouth. I liked the old man and only wish I had recorded all our conversations. Example: "I got out of the army in 1918 and hell if it wasn't just two years later I joined another God Damn institution."

He had a lot of insight into the WT history from 1921 on. As to his comments about Covington maybe JanH, Farkel or AllanF can confirm or dismiss Ben's assertion. I was of the impression that it was pretty much common knowledge at the time. We can't ask Ben directly because he died about 1974 in his Bethel room.

Jst2laws

• hillary_step
    hillary_step

Just2Laws,

What do you think HS, are they bracing for some big losses?

Frankly I just think that they are covering all eventualities. As you know, they do this with increases and losses and claim that the former is indicative of Gods blessings, but that the latter means nothing as decrease of figures are indicative that the road to life is 'narrow and cramped'. These people have cunning to burn. I am rather reminded of an advertisement that used to do the rounds in Europe. A young man approaches the front door behind which is his beautiful date. In one hand he has a small bunch of flowers to present to the dates mother, in the other hand is THE box of chocolates carefully chosen for his evenings date. He rings the bell and as the door is opened the mothers face appears. She of course happens to be far more attractive than the daughter ( they normally are ) and he quickly switches gifts to present the chocolates to her rather than the daughter. The WTS are similar opportunists.

Best regards - HS

• VM44
    VM44

Hayden Covington was disfellowshipped for drinking too much. But he was reinstated. --VM44

• Farkel
    Farkel

: She of course happens to be far more attractive than the daughter ( they normally are ) and he quickly switches gifts to present the chocolates to her rather than the daughter. The WTS are similar opportunists.

Drat! That means women are getting uglier with each generation!

Farkel

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hs,

G for illustration.

Vm44,

Thanks for clarification. I remember that now, but I had started to think I had passed on gossip.

Farkel,

How have you been, old crusty.

Drat! That means women are getting uglier with each generation!

And our generation is getting uglier with each year.

Steve of the Ugly Old Fart Class

• bigred
    bigred

Hi Steve

I concur with all of your reasoning on blessing ect but be careful about this mother daughter thing, it might make trouble for you. By the way you have a beautiful daughter who can read so be careful Dad. (if this doesn't apply to you................I forget who said it)

Red

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit