Did you ever meet someone born in the 1800’s?

by Fisherman 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• punkofnice
  • Rivergang
    Rivergang

Not all uncommon for us Baby Boomers. Almost always, our grandparents were born before the beginning of the 20th Century.

• careful
    careful

Fisherman,

A first I thought this thread was just an innocent question, but is it a premise regarding the overlapping generation teaching of Splane and his GB supporters? What a strange concoction that is!

When I left the org in the late 80s I had met some of the old anointed who went back to CTR's days. There was a brother who was over 100 and had gone out west in a covered wagon as a boy. One of my own grandparents was born before 1900 and served in WW I. When I used to visit him in the VA hospital in the 1960s, there were still a few Spanish-American War veterans there.

• Fisherman
    Fisherman
    first I thought this thread was just an innocent question

It is.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Ernest, Thanks for clearing that up.

• HiddlesWife
    HiddlesWife

My grandmother passed away at age 94 in 1990. She was not a dub (NI= Never In), and she was the sweetest, kindest person anyone would ever want to meet. The good thing about her was that she could see through the Borg's rhetoric [and this was when GB1.0 (Sidlik, Schroeder, Jaracz, Swingle, etc.) was living. I really miss her very much!😥

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

Yes, I did.

I was born in 1979. I knew my great-grandmother, Hilda Saunders (nee Wooding), until she died in 1986, aged 94.

She was born in 1891.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Yes. My grandparents.

I've often considered how they grew up using horse & buggys and yet lived to fly in an airplane and even to witness man land on the moon. Their generation (not overlapping) seemed to qualify as the time when "knowledge will increase". (Dan 12:4)

• blondie
    blondie

My grandfather and his friends. I was amazed, but he told me how life had changed for him since then.

• BettyHumpter
    BettyHumpter

Oldest verifiable person ever was Jeanne Calment. 1875-1997. I remember her starting to get quite a bit of publicity in the mid 1990's and thinking how cool it would be if someone who was already an adult at the end of the 1800's lived to see the start of the 21st century. She died a little over 2 years short of that mark. She had memories of meeting Van Gogh when she was a teenager.

At age 90 she did the equivalent of a reverse mortgage on her flat. The man agreed to pay her until she she died upon which he would inherit the place. Must have seemed a no brainer to him. Make payments for just a couple of years and receive a paid off home. How much longer is it likely for a 90 year old to live? She lived for 32 more years. He died before her, still making monthly payments and was never able to occupy the place.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit