Did you ever meet someone born in the 1800’s?

by Fisherman 38 Replies latest jw experiences

• Fisherman
    Fisherman

I met freddie franz who was born in the 1880’s and many others from the 1880’s. But as a very small child I remember someone very old aged 106 and that person was born around 1856 which means that he was around people from the 1700’s.

• FondaCox
    FondaCox

My paternal great-grandmother was born in 1886. I have very vague memories of visiting her when i was 4 or 5 years old. This would have been 1977/1978. She died in '78.

I think a more interesting way to phrase the question is did you meet someone born in and able to remember something of the 1800's. My Great Grandmother would qualify. Someone born in 1899 would not.

My grandfather who was born in the 1920's remembered meeting a few elderly Civil War veterans when he was a child.

• Biahi
    Biahi

My grandfather, born in Norway, came here at age 3, with his family. He was born in 1898. I still remember him, love him, and miss him.

• Gorb
    Gorb

Yes, my great-grandfather, born in 1889.

Hè told me many story's.

G.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Yes, my great grandfather, Francis Vanderhoven.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

I remember my Great Grandfather Turner. Would have been late 60's when I was about 7. He would have been born around 1880 or so. He gave me a pocket knife and was very patient in showing me how to open and close it... when it was safe and when it was dangerous. This was in rural Mississippi. I was spellbound as a spunky young lad.

Late at night when I was supposed to be sleeping on the couch, I would crack an eyelid open and watch smoke from his pipe fill the air with sweet tobacco aroma. As he stared into space, I remember being curious about what he was thinking about as he infrequently took a draw. I have a guess now....Probably wondering where he went wrong since by then his daughter (my grandmother) was a JW as was my dad.

He was a horseback Methodist preacher in his younger days. Definitely plan on seeing him in heaven.

• FondaCox
    FondaCox

Trivia: The last person verified to have been born in the 1800's was Emma Morano. She died on 15 April, 2017.

• hoser
    hoser

Yes

• waton
    waton

In my hometown in my youth lived both Adolf and Albert. Heard, but never met them, but it's safe to say that a quarter of the people around then were born in the previous century. Conversed with F .Franz, Br. Friend, even more bizarre old partakers.

At 91+, if you asked me if I belonged to that now gone generation or the newer crop, I would have to stay with the gone seniors. Does that make me an overlapper? my feelings do not render valid the overlapping overreach of the wt anointed generation .

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Im in my 70s so all my grandparents were from the 1880s, 90s. I knew them all. We are now losing almost all the ww2 crowd. Ww1 is history, no one remembers it. That was a poignant thought I read where memories turn into history at the time the last ww1 veteran died

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit