Nobody at work knows what JWs believe

by Athanasius 37 Replies latest jw experiences

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I spoke to my cousin last week and she had no idea what they believe even though most of my siblings have been in about sixty years. I told her they believe in the end of the world as we know it and everyone will be killed except JWs. She had no idea. Yeah I said with a grin they're just waiting for me to be destroyed. She just sees my sister as a nice lady with a cat!

• NeverKnew
    NeverKnew

This thread is hilarious to me. I've had a ton of exposure to several denominations growing up. I'm a non JW.

Before my real exposure, at 35, the only thing I really knew about JWs was that they didn't vote.

A friend and theologian recommended I read a book called "Witnesses of Jehovah" after some came to the door. Looking back, after reading that book which delved into WTS history, I knew more about their history than many JWs do.

• LisaRose
    LisaRose

Considering that they consider the preaching work and proclaiming God's kingdom to be their most important work, they are remarkably ineffectual at it. It's one thing that they can't get anybody to convert, but it's a complete fail that they can't communicate what they consider the most urgent aspect of their message.

• Wayward
    Wayward
    Contrary to what we were told as JWs, nobody was watching us. Nobody cared what we did. They were too busy actually living their lives.
  • WingCommander
    WingCommander

Yep! Delusions of grandeur. All growing up I was told that everyone hates the JW's, we are to be persecuted, we stand for righteousness and are preaching God's Sovereignty to rule the universe, that when the Great Tribulation breaks out we'll be rounded up like in WWII and tortured, etc, etc. Come to find out, the "World" doesn't give 2 shits about the JW's, and doesn't even have a clue as to what the JW's believe or preach about. The world only knows that they are a major pain in the ass on Saturday mornings and on holidays. What a fine "Witness".

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

A friend of mine at work gives me a fair amount of good natured teasing about my cult past, but typically makes jokes implying that I was Amish. Initially, though, she really thought JWs were essentially Amish/Quaker/Mennonite types. I think sometimes she still makes the honest mistake of thinking that sort of thing.

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

Most JWs don't know much more than ignorant householders. Hard to keep up! I would agree that their campaign is clearly ineffectual when one considers that many don't think JWs even believe in Jesus.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon
    The first thing that will come out of folks mouths about JW's, they break up families....
  • JustMe2
    JustMe2

Decades ago, some thought the Witnesses were Communists.

• James Mixon
    James Mixon

Communists, well they may be right. Although the beliefs revolved around equality, this

system allowed government to develop a powerful ruling class.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit