Looking back,"That was crazy, moment"

by MarkofCane 26 Replies latest jw experiences

• MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

I got baptized later in life. I was around 21, I had left and went out into the world should of listen to my gut back then, but instead I disowned myself and came back into the fold. Before I could get baptized, the elder who studied with me said I needed to get rid of everything that was contaminated by this world: music, books & clothing,everything. So we went through my music. AC/DC, Ronnie James Dio, Ozzy, Judas Priest to name a few. I Invested a couple of hundred dollars mind you.

He said," If you play them backwards there are subliminal messages promoting Satanism". Yup that's what he said. I was like "no way", I will throw them in the garbage right away. He said no last time someone did that they reappeared in there room or they cried out. He said we need to burn them. WTF.... so we made a small fire in the back yard and burned my music, books and a shirt that said "Sex, drugs and rock & roll" (got it at a concert) everything he didn't approve of. I wish I was making this stuff up, because I sound pretty pathetic right about now. Did any of you ever go through anything like this or hear of crazy stuff like this?

MC
  • Londo111
    Londo111
    Par for the course in a cult.
  • Darkknight757
    Darkknight757

I moved in with my sister who was a Jw and she threw most of my stuff in the chicken coup outside which proceeded to ruin it all! Metallica, Megadeth, Judas Priest, And other music tapes I had. Also a good collection of Ghost Rider comics and some other video games and stuff. Worth some money.

Didnt miss any of it after becoming a Jw and went on to throw even more stuff away I thought was questionable including an entire box of old Nintendo games.

Pretty friggin stupid looking back. As if the demons are gonna get cha like some kind of boogieman if you own stuff.

• Londo111
    Londo111
    Yes...I never got how immaterial beings could be foiled by fire.
  • Crazyguy
    Crazyguy
    Yes and how demons would become attached to an item and like trapped too. How stupid.
  • ToesUp
    ToesUp
    My teenager has a fine collection of Harry Potter stuff. Purchased after we left. The crazy things they come up with! Don't they realize Mickey Mouse was part of the Sorcerer's Apprentice? I guess we should eliminate Mickey, as well. You just can't make this sh*t up!
  • Londo111
    Londo111

A Pentecostal schoolmate gave me a NIV version of the Bible. Since Pentecostals were viewed as likely demonized, my father burned it.

• Cangie
    Cangie

JW's are so superstitious that it is ridiculous. I've always wondered why, if they really believe in their god's superior power and holy spirit, don't they trust it to protect them from Satan and the demons' lesser power? And why are they so obsessed with second-hand items that were once owned by other people---as if the demons couldn't inhabit items straight from the manufacturer if they wanted to? I have shopped in Goodwill and Salvation Army for many years, along with yard sales and flea markets. I love the "thrill of the hunt", you might say. And I have NEVER been given "deemunz" as a "buy one, get one free" item with my purchase.

I did once have a "sister" insist that I throw a plant away because I was being abused by my ex, and she informed me that the particular plant was used in voodoo rituals to break up marriages. Yeah---uh huh, that was the reason I was having problems...

• Je.suis.oisif
    Je.suis.oisif
    M of C, yes yes to similar advice to me. I got rid of duvets, furniture, crockery and albums. Only I never did part with all my Bowie albums. They were my dirty little secret. I'm so pleased I didn't.
  • MarkofCane
    MarkofCane

Yes the whole second hand stuff like from yard sales, my mom brought home some framed wall paintings once. We put them up and weird stuff stared to happen like we would get phone calls in the middle of the night they would breath hard then hang up, this would happen over and over, the sister's from the hall, after hearing about this, said to my mom,"have you anything new in the house, like furniture or used stuff from yard sales?" Wallah, 'the framed picture' this is the problem. "Get rid of it immediately it's demonized!"

Well It never occurred to anyone that my teenage sister had many admirers, but no never the logical, always the spirit realm. Because anything else would be nonsense.

PS: Always wondered why the brothers were so obsessed with yard sales when we would go out in service, yet the demons were lurking in the merchandise.

MC

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit