Older JW: not happy

by Gorbatchov 40 Replies latest jw friends

• Moster
    Moster

My dad is in a retirement home - he is 88. He mentioned to me how no one ever comes to visit him, and that it made him feel sad. I told him people were just busy and that he could phone people as well. But that is a fact - old and forgotten. Where are your loving brothers and sisters now? Only ones who ever came to visit were also aged. They have passed on and so now no one comes. He still goes to every meeting and in FS every week. But they still seem to have forgotten him.

He for the first time, told me he wasn't going to go to the convention this summer. Will be the first one he has missed since 1954. Says it is just too hard on him now to go and be away from home, stay in a hotel, get himself ready etc. not to mention sitting down in bleachers for 3 days. I tried to hide my excitement about it. He did ask me how he could watch or listen from his room though. I told him I wasn't sure if he could do that. Anyone know if that is possible? I would rather he didn't, but if it makes him happy.

As many have said best to leave them PIMI than disrupt what is left of their world. He hardly has anything now, not sure what he would do if he actually had his eyes opened and he left.

Sigh.

• Dagney
    Dagney

I can only imagine how they feel. I feel a little sad for them, but realize also it was their choice to hang on to the dream of the pet tiger.

I think for many it is social and a routine. With so many years in the routine, they haven't developed any outside interests, so they would be lost without it. My mother needed this religion, sadly. I'm sure they are tired and don't want to think about it.

I'm in the next generation down...I'm amazed why so many are still in. But then again, they taught their families this dogma...now what? I did go down the rabbit hole one day last week on FB and looked at some of the old gang. Honestly, they looked happy and were having fun I guess, even if it was at an RC, LOL.

sigh

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney

I wrote this on another forum a while back:

My mother became a caregiver for an elderly sister in a neighboring congregation. She had gotten baptized at one of the giant conventions in NYC in the '50s that were always prominently featured in JW literature. She and her husband both got baptized there and they had a special-needs son. They put off having any other children until after Armageddon.

She was at various times a pioneer and was very well liked in the circuit. Even in her old age, her faith was palpable and she was a genuinely good person. She even had a picture on her mantle of one of her favorite young people, even though she had later "left the truth."

She had been a polio survivor and my mother got paid to spend something like 15 hours a week taking care of her, some kind of government program. By the time I met her, both her son and her husband were dead. She didn't have any close contacts with family because back then you had to cut ties with them if you wanted to be a Witness. She didn't need them. She had "the friends" at the kingdom hall. That's all she needed.

This sister's health started failing pretty quickly and she got to the point where she had to get around in a wheelchair. She required special assistance to get to the kingdom hall. The elders made a list and schedule of people whose responsibility it was to pick her up from her assisted care facility. Before long, the no-shows started happening. It would take her about 2 hours to get ready and she'd sit in front of the assisted living facility waiting for her ride that never came.

The elders finally gave up. It was too much of a burden on "the friends" to have to pick her up. So they started making her attend the meetings over the phone. This began to quite literally kill her slowly. All of the joy and light in her eyes went away. She was a shell of her former self.

About six months later she was moved to a full-on nursing home and she never attended another meeting after that. The elders were tired. The woman needed a lot of attention. She had no one other than the JWs, but the elders were already bogged down with all of the responsibilities and time constraints that come with it.

She died and there weren't very many people at her funeral. She was buried next to her husband. She gave her life to the organization and at the very end of her life, there was nobody there to repay her for her sacrifices.

To this day I still shed a tear when I think about her.

• Moster
    Moster

neverendingjourney breaks my heart reading this. Selfish loving brothers.

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Neverendingjourney -- If she had had a MILLION$ in the bank, the JWs would have been instructed to see that she was visited, cared for, and they'd have even had a Bethel lawyer help some local lawyer draft her Will. Witnessed it here locally on two occasions. Others (those without money) couldn't even get a visit from the Eldubs when they were on their deathbed.

Follow the money.

• neverendingjourney
    neverendingjourney
    Neverendingjourney -- If she had had a MILLION$ in the bank, the JWs would have been instructed to see that she was visited, cared for, and they'd have even had a Bethel lawyer help some local lawyer draft her Will. Witnessed it here locally on two occasions. Others (those without money) couldn't even get a visit from the Eldubs when they were on their deathbed.

She had a will that left everything to the JWs, but she ended up burning through her modest estate once she was admitted to the nursing home. You have to pay from your own assets first and then Medicare/Medicaid takes over.

• LoisLane looking for Superman
    LoisLane looking for Superman

@Moster

Can someone start a new thread possibly on "How Old is the Oldest JW that has Awaken, and how did it go"? or somesuch like that. Your dad is 88. Could waking him up now, cause his early demise? Will he cry so much and be so depressed that all together it will kill him? Then, of course, do not wake him up.

I was asked kindly, in a gentle voice from a dear soul who said they think I need to read CofC for free off of my computer and set it up for me. I had been an elder's wife for 40 years. I did not take this lightly but the person was so sincere in asking me to do this that I realized this was something I must do, if not for myself, then to help them where they have strayed. (Reading WT/JW..org highly unapproved literature).

After an all night marathon reading, I was out of WT/JW..org the next morning at 5AM.

It was like a veil had been lifted in my mind. The dysfunctional and crazy made up man made rules that never made sense, now did. The whole religion had been made up to serve the Top! To sell their brand of religious poppycock!

• ToesUp
    ToesUp

"The elders finally gave up. It was too much of a burden on "the friends" to have to pick her up."

We knew of an elderly brother in our area. The Elders gave him plenty of attention. He was housed in a very nice assisted living complex. The Elders and congregation were ALWAYS there for him. Guess what? HE HAD MONEY! Yep...you guessed it, he left it to WT. Spouse had already died and no kids.

If you can not do anything for anybody in the congregation or at Headquarters, you are not worth the effort. Sad! My heart breaks for these ones.

• Giordano
    Giordano

Yea LoisLane!

In you didn't know the following or for those exiting............

A brief look at the exit of Raymond Franz:

On May 21, 1980, Franz was called to a Governing Body session where he was questioned for three hours about his biblical viewpoints and commitment to Watch Tower doctrines.[2][19] Consequently, he agreed to a request to resign from the Governing Body and headquarters staff. Franz refused the Watch Tower Society's offer of a monthly stipend as a member of the "Infirm Special Pioneers"
    On September 1, 1980, the Governing Body distributed a letter to all Circuit and District overseers stating that apostates need not be promoting doctrines to be disfellowshipped. The letter stated that individuals who persisted in "believing other doctrine despite scriptural reproof" were also apostatizing and therefore warranted "appropriate judicial action".[18][24]
    On March 18, 1981 Franz' employer in Alabama submitted a letter of disassociation from Jehovah's Witnesses. The September 15, 1981 issue of The Watchtower announced a change of policy on disassociation, directing that those who formally withdrew from the group were to be shunned by Witnesses in the same manner as those who have been disfellowshipped.[25] Franz, who continued to socialize with his employer, was summoned to a judicial hearing on November 25 and disfellowshipped for disobeying the edict.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Franz#Expulsion

If the Society thought they were going to muzzle Ray they sure screwed themselves............

• Gemmel
    Gemmel

I have a slightly different slant on this. I've been out for nearly 30 years now, was dragged in by the family as a child in the early 70's. I completely lost my whole family when I resigned in 87. Losing my family and the sense of betrayal were very hard to deal with but I did.

I get a sense of quiet satisfaction that my siblings who are now older and poor having made no provision for retirement, live very modest lives while I have taken retirement 10 years early and spending my time flying around the world deciding where I want to go next. I was reminded reading this thread of what my brother said when I called to say I resigning, telling me that I was a fool and "the new system is just around the corner". It made me smile.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit