Blondie's Comments You Will Not Hear at the 10-11-2015 WT Study (EXPECTATION)

by blondie 24 Replies latest jw friends

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

At what point does vagueness and obfuscation become an outright lie?

I refer to para 11:

Upon recognizing that Christ’s presence began in 1914, Jesus’ followers rightly prepared for a possible early arrival of the end. They did so by intensifying their Kingdom-preaching work

So, when did they recognize that the presence began in 1914? A new reader would grasp that it refers to the revival after WW1...but looking back to the book "God's Kingdom Of A Thousand Years Has Approached (1973) page 208 , we learn:

"55 In the year 1943 the Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society published the book “The Truth Shall Make You Free.” In its chapter 11, entitled “The Count of Time,” it did away with the insertion of 100 years into the period of the Judges and went according to the oldest and most authentic reading of Acts 13:20, and accepted the spelled-out numbers of the Hebrew Scriptures. This moved forward the end of six thousand years of man’s existence into the decade of the 1970’s. Naturally this did away with the year 1874 C.E. as the date of return of the Lord Jesus Christ and the beginning of his invisible presence or parousia. The millennium that was to be marked by the detaining of Satan the Devil enchained in the abyss and by the reign of the 144,000 joint heirs with Christ in heavenly glory was therefore yet in the future. What, then, about the parousia (presence) of Christ? Page 324 of the above book positively says: “The King’s presence or parousia began in 1914.” Also, in the Watchtower issue of July 15, 1949 (page 215, paragraph 22), the statement is made: “ . . . Messiah, the Son of man, came into Kingdom power A.D. 1914 and . . . this constitutes his second coming and the beginning of his second parousía or presence.”

So they admitted then that it was not until 1943 that the Parousia from 1914 was adopted as a teaching. Did the "intensify the preaching in 1943? No , it was WW2 & they struggled to keep going

I find this article to be totally dishonest. Mind you perhaps they don't know anymore? Perhaps the writers just copy other recent written articles - If we were to ask Geoffrey Jackson, he would just shrug and say " It is not my field".

• Actigall Ur
    Actigall Ur

As a current "active" JW that knows THE TRUTH about "the truth," I often feel like Ned Beaty in "The Network"

As fitting 40 years ago as it is today! "I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it ANYMORE!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WINDtlPXmmE

Great movie!

• Retrovirus
    Retrovirus
    I wonder how "having a zealous share in the peaching work" can equate to sitting near a trolley avoiding eye contact. . .
  • Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    The Borg must be quite aware of a ''rising tide of doubters''. It seems that they publish these articles whenever they sense apathy amongst the rank and file. Maybe it's because also 2014-15 has come to pass with no GT or big A and perhaps more rank and file doubting, they stir things up with these pointy articles to fear monger the rank and file again.
  • Ucantnome
    Ucantnome

'That in itself is a good reason to remain in expectation—Jesus told us to do so! In this regard, Jehovah’s organization has set an example. Its publications have consistently exhorted us to “await and keep close in mind the presence of the day of Jehovah” and to fix our hope on God’s promised new world'

I find this comment from the Watchtower March 15 1980 page 17/18 regarding 1975 interesting.

6 In its issue of July 15, 1976, The Watchtower, commenting on the inadvisability of setting our sights on a certain date, stated: “If anyone has been disappointed through not following this line of thought, he should now concentrate on adjusting his viewpoint, seeing that it was not the word of God that failed or deceived him and brought disappointment, but that his own understanding was based on wrong premises.” In saying “anyone,” The Watchtower included all disappointed ones of Jehovah’s Witnesses, hence including persons having to do with the publication of the information that contributed to the buildup of hopes centered on that date.

and the question to the paragraph was

Did the information in the July 15,1976, Watchtower endeavor to lay the responsibility for such expectation solely or primarily on its readers? Explain.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit