Name a few errors in the bible

by JH 35 Replies latest watchtower bible

• rocketman
    rocketman

In regard to Genesis 1 and the matter of "light":

The WTS explains that the luminaries were indeed created "in the beginning" as Gen 1:1 says. However, the were not "made" to appear later, when the sources of diffuse light became visible through the expanse, which up til then may have been somewhat more dense, hence obstructing the sources of such light. They explain it that way in the Creation book.

They write that since Genesis is written from the standpoint of one who would observe events on earth, it appears to say things that may appear inconsistent. of course, no one was around to observe events at that time anyway, so it kind of beats me as to why it was written that way. But, it makes more sense understanding it that way, I guess.

• Yerusalyim
    Yerusalyim

In Mark 2:26 Jesus tells about Abiathar being the High Priest when King David went to the Tabernacle and ate the Shew Bread. However, looking at 1 Samuel 21 we see that Ahimelech was actually the High Priest. Somebody was messed up there. This coming from a guy who is a Believer.

• Faraon
    Faraon

Kenneson,

To suggest that all Christians were in favor of the institution of slavery that existed in the New World is certainly not accurate. They considered it a mutant or deviation from the Biblical "slavery." Countless popes spoke out against it, but to deaf ears. Also, did you ever hear of Bartolome de Las Casas?

Please tell me where I suggested that ALL Christians were in favor of the institution of slavery that existed in the New World. If you got the wrong idea about my statements, I’d like to know where you got this idea.

I know that slavery could’ve not being ended if many Christians in the New World were against it. Unfortunately, the rich people, and a multitude of Christians in power allowed this practice to go on.

I was born and raised in Mexico City and went to Catholic schools all my life before coming to the States, and a Catholic Seminary for three years. There is no way I would’ve missed hearing about Bartolomé de las Casas. In the following document from Bartolome to the Emperor in a link written in archaic Spanish, he puts the preamble to the US Constitution to shame when both documents are compared. http://www.uni-mainz.de/~lustig/texte/antologia/lascasas.htm#1.%20APOLOGÉTICA%20HISTORIA .

Part of the document says:

Y después de quitado el horror y miedo que tienen de las crueldades e infamias de los cristianos, ...

Which roughly translates as:

And after removing the horror and fear that they have of the cruelties and infamies of the Christians,…(stress mine)

He was pleading for the Indians, but in his plea it could be understood that it applied to all humans, and included the admittance of the cruelty of infamies of the Christians.

The thing I don’t understand is why they forbade slavery for Indians, but allowed it for blacks.

I say this because De Las Casas states in the same document:

La razón desta verdad es, y pónela Tullio (2) en el libro 1.o De Legibus: conviene a saber, porque todas las naciones del mundo son hombres, y de todos los hombres y de cada uno dellos es una no más la definición, y ésta es que son racionales; todos tienen su entendimiento y su voluntad y su libre albedrío como sean formados a la imagen y semejanza de Dios;...

Again, roughly translated:

The reason of this truth is, and Tullio (2) puts it in the first book De Legibus (of the laws): it is convenient to know, because all the nations of the world are men, and from all the men and each one of them it is no more the definition, and this is that are rational; all have their understanding, and their determination and their free will as they are formed in the image and likeness of God;… (stress mine)

De Las Casas has been accused of causing the importation of Black slaves to the New World. I know he also fought for them. I ony wish that the Christians he refers to had followed his leadership and example.

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

Faraon,

It seems to me that you had reached the conclusion that the slavery mentioned in the Bible was similar to what existed in the New World because the NW was under Christian rules (did you mean rulers?). My conclusion is that these earthly rulers and subjects were not in line with their spiritual leaders (neither the popes nor Las Casas who spoke out against slavery). So, if these earthly rulers were acting under Christian rules, it was of their own making.

• Bona Dea
    Bona Dea

How was it that in Numbers 13:33 the Israelites encounter the sons of Anak? The Anakites came from the Nephilim who, as I am sure you all well know according to Genesis 6:2-4, originated in pre-flood times. If everything and everyone on earth had been destroyed during the flood except those on the Ark (Gen 6:17), then where did these folks come from?

Sadie

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

While there are web sites that point to contradictions in the Bible, there are also those links which deal with and answer them. Scroll down a bit.

http://www.answering-islam.org/Bible/Contra

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit