The effect Crisis of Conscience has...

by pleaseresearch 21 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pleaseresearch
    pleaseresearch

Would love to read this book one day and give it to my mum and brother who are both in the organisation.

So many people I see on videos claim that this book was the nail in the coffin. But do you know anyone where it had no effect on them?

• scary21
    scary21

Yes my unbaptized ex, who is a JW wannabe, read it with really no thought at all. The only thing he said was "oh he's just mad because he didn't get to have any children" and " I cant believe they only gave him $10,000 dollars when he left".

Some people just don't get it !

• GrreatTeacher
    GrreatTeacher

I think it has the most effect on true believers who really believe it is God's organization.

People who are in for other reasons might not find it so compelling.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i can only suggest starting half way through it. the first half is boring with loads of cut and paste excerpts from watchtowers. uggh. after that--i couldnt put it down.

• _Morpheus
    _Morpheus

Its a very good read. The depiction of the gb and bethel life is spot on.

• steve2
    steve2

Interesting review Stan. It was the first half that convinced me the organization was wrong because Ray’s evidence gathering and prose was absolutely thorough. I guess it depends where you’re “at” when you first read it. Still-in readers would find the first half truly hard-hitting but continue reading because of Ray’s thorough commentary. Whereas the second half is predicated on the reader being on board with Ray’s story.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

There are probably plenty who read CofC but were not ready to consider it seriously. And you can bet many upper echelon members have read it.

You have to be prepared to actually consider the material, then it devastates one's faith in Watchtower. Similar with pedophile news reports.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I`m afraid I was one who read it while I was still a believer and I just put it down as a disgruntled family member of Fred Franz who didn`t feel appreciated enough .

The book that had the biggest impact on me was Don Cameron`s "Captives Of A Concept" which I learned was a phrase taken from CofC.

• Amelia Ashton
    Amelia Ashton

I was already POMI when I read CoC although with lots of niggling doubts. Ray Franz book was like scales falling from my eyes but more. The guilt and fear left.

Don Cameron's book was affirmation I was free and I enjoyed it immensely.

• Brokeback Watchtower
    Brokeback Watchtower

I read about 30 or 40 pages at a library and was convinced the Watchtower corporation was a fraud. That was February 2001.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit