I've just won the lottery

by Half banana 16 Replies latest social humour

• compound complex
    compound complex

South Pacific Cargo cult! -- Half banana

I've read about the islanders and their mock-ups of WWII aircraft, those in hopes of receiving more bounteous rains of goods from "Heaven."

If it suits to elaborate, more like comparisons would be welcomed. Your commentary is enjoyable reading.

Thanks.

• Half banana
    Half banana

The Watchtower is no more intellectually credible in its hope of paradise than the worship of John Frum is in the island of Tanna with its hope of precious cargo and abundance for all coming out of the skies courtesy of US military aircraft.

The impulse is the same; a fantasy of divine blessings showering down from the spirit world and forget the mundane barriers to the dream which the whole community shares.

Have a look here:

https://www.damninteresting.com/john-frum-and-the-cargo-cults/

• compound complex
    compound complex

Thanks, Hb.

I enjoyed it immensely and gleaned info for my next writing class.

Looking forward to 15 February!

• Half banana
    Half banana

Incidentally another cargo cult practising tribe from the island of Tanna at the village of Yaohnanen believe that the Queen of England's consort, Prince Phillip ("man blong Mrs Queen" in local pidgin dialect) is a divine being!

I would put JW mentality at the same intellectual level.

It has to be said that these decent people were practising cannibals from the Stone Age not so very long ago.

• compound complex
    compound complex

The prince cut a dashing figure in younger days and was most likely considered "divine" amongst his fervent admirers.

• compound complex
  • James Mixon
    James Mixon

A converstion between Rufus Thomas (blues singer) and a radio DJ. (DJ) I won the lottery

(Rufus) How much?? (DJ) 2.5. (Rufus) 2.5 million? (DJ) Yes 2.5 big ones. So I called my wife and told her I won the lottery and I have the money with me. So I told her to pack her clothes.. She ask me "should I pack my summer or winter clothes". I told her pack all your clothes because I want you gone when I get home..

Well I thought it was funny.....

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit