What Will JW's Do If They Find Themselves Still Conscious after Death?

by Sea Breeze 60 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

We all know that despite many scriptures to the contrary, JW's believe that when they die, their consciousness will cease. My question is this: What will be the likely reaction of JW's if they find themselves conscious after death?

• Ding
    Ding

Panic

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I think it would depend on what they see. I always thought of it as closing your eyes and losing consciousness for a brief second, then waking up in a field somewhere with JWs welcoming the newly-resurrected.

If I awoke and it was clouds and winged angels taking me by the hand, I guess I would have been confused. But Heaven is unlikely to cause any anxiety and understanding would arrive soon enough. I suppose Saint Peter would chide me, pointing out that if God was as I thought of him, I'd be walking towards a very different gate.

If I awoke and I was in hell... it might take me a few moments to realize that I wasn't in the 1970s Bronx.

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

@ seabreeze - can you cite some of the many scriptures you mentioned? Interested to see how they're worded.

• cofty
    cofty
    Consciousness can't survive anaesthesia how can it survive the destruction of the brain and nervous system?
  • Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

@Boogerman

Here's a few that come to mind:

Matthew 25:46

And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Luke 12:5

But I will warn you whom to fear: fear him who, after he has killed, has authority to cast into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him!

Mark 9:43

And if your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than with two hands to go to hell, to the unquenchable fire.

Revelation 20:12

And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done.

Luke 16:23

And in Hades, being in torment, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham far off and Lazarus at his side.

Revelation 21:8

But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Jude 1:7

Just as Sodom and Gomorrah and the surrounding cities, which likewise indulged in sexual immorality and pursued unnatural desire, serve as an example by undergoing a punishment of eternal fire.

Proverbs 15:24

The path of life leads upward for the prudent, that he may turn away from Sheol beneath.

Mark 9:47

And if your eye causes you to sin, tear it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than with two eyes to be thrown into hell,

1 Samuel 28: 15

15 Now Samuel said to Saul, “Why have you disturbed me by bringing me up?”

And Saul answered, “I am deeply distressed; for the Philistines make war against me, and God has departed from me and does not answer me anymore, neither by prophets nor by dreams. Therefore I have called you, that you may reveal to me what I should do.”

16 Then Samuel said: “So why do you ask me, seeing the Lord has departed from you and has become your enemy? 17And the Lord has done for Himself as He spoke by me. For the Lord has torn the kingdom out of your hand and given it to your neighbor, David.

2 Cor. 5: 8 We are confident, yes, well pleased rather to be absent from the body and to be present with the Lord.

[Edited to add] Acts 2

Acts 2 also comes to mind:

"Men and brethren, let me freely speak unto you of the patriarch David, that he is both dead and buried, and his sepulchre is with us unto this day. 30 Therefore being a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him, that of the fruit of his loins, according to the flesh, he would raise up Christ to sit on his throne; 31 He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. 32 This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses."

It was necessary for God to abandon Jesus for a time when "he became sin for us"; for God has no fellowship with sin.

Yet, the Father did not leave his soul in hell, but rejoined it with his body one very famous Sunday morning.

And the world has never been the same since.
  • BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

@ seabreeze - The average human lifespan is approx. 840 months, so when I hear professed Christians say that their righteous God is going punish/torture sinners for all eternity, I'd rather not get to know their "God."

I used to think sending people to an Australian penal colony for stealing a loaf of bread was bad, but eternal torture for 840 months of sinning????? Nah! That ain't justice!

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze
    The average human lifespan is approx. 840 months

But that's not the point is it? How long does the average human consciousness last? For an eternity.

when I hear professed Christians say that their righteous God is going punish/torture sinners for all eternity,

I agree that people's word isn't worth much..... but a man who walked out of a tomb as he claimed he would - that is a genuine basis to believe what he has to say.

Nah! That ain't justice!

Maybe, maybe not. But it does honor people's free-will wishes to be conscious apart from God. What degree of depravity does it take for a person to choose hell over life with Jesus? That is a better question to ask.

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim
    They'd probably panic and ask for the GB's direction.
  • cofty
    cofty
    What degree of depravity does it take for a person to choose hell over life with Jesus? - Breezy

What degree of stupidity or intellectual dishonesty does it take to even ask such a perverse question?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit