Biblical Anachronisms in JW Literature

by neat blue dog 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• riblah
    riblah

Does anyone have any Watchtower pictures of first century Christians carrying tract-like codices from door to door? I was sure I remembered seeing that, but can’t find it now.

There was definitely a picture like that- I remember it, too. Could it possibly have been on the cover of a WT?

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    Obviously Judas of the Sicarii

I actually thought of that but given the artwork (Jesus on a hill overlooking Jerusalem with 3 disciples) it seems they want to convey the Matthew 24 / Mark 13 scenario, which would make the 3 disciples Peter, James, and John.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost

4 disciples! I missed Andrew sitting in the foreground with his back to the viewer, can't tell if he has a beard or not.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

They taught a beard was sign of imperfection too. Perfect man no beard

I think the door to door with scrolls was a study article. J remember the comments like it was a photo.

• Jofi_Wofo
    Jofi_Wofo

I'm not sure if this is in the spirit of the thread, it's more historical revisionism than it is an anachronism. The WT publications used to teach that Adam, of all people, wrote a portion of Genesis and that Noah's family preserved copies of that portion of Genesis in the ark through the flood.

Also, quite recently, David Splane claimed that the whole of archaeology, historiology and geology are all WRONG because their demonstrated age for the Great Sphinx contradicts the Governing Body's unsupported and egregiously dogmatic interpretation of Genesis.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

Lets not forget that bristlecone pine in Awake that predates the flood. You know the flood that covered all the mountains.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    The WT publications used to teach that Adam, of all people, wrote a portion of Genesis and that Noah's family preserved copies of that portion of Genesis in the ark through the flood.

I've never heard that before - would love to see a quote. I'd guess it was something from the 20's or 30's.

David Splane claimed that the whole of archaeology, historiology and geology are all WRONG because their demonstrated age for the Great Sphinx contradicts the Governing Body's unsupported and egregiously dogmatic interpretation of Genesis.

The infuriating part of this is that he is one of the probably, at best, 2 or 3 guys on the GB with sufficient intelligence to actually understand how stupid his claim that it's "all wrong" is. So in the classic "evil or deluded" question regarding GB members, I think that puts him squarely on the "evil" side of the ledger.

• Jofi_Wofo
    Jofi_Wofo

@FFGhost

It's from 1959, which means most of the current governing body would have likely have actually believed this when they were younger.

https://wol.jw.org/en/wol/d/r1/lp-e/1959722

Paragraph 15

"Actually the Bible is so old that it has three documents written before the flood of Noah’s day four thousand years ago. The first document contains God’s dictation to Adam of the basic facts about earth’s creation. The second document, called the “book of Adam's history” (Gen. 5:1), was written by Adam himself and was carried in the Ark through the flood by faithful Noah and eventually given to Moses, who incorporated the document as part of the book of Genesis in the Bible"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit