Biblical Anachronisms in JW Literature

by neat blue dog 37 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

I think the application of James 5:14-15 is a bit forced in the modern scenario:

Is there anyone sick among you? Let him call the elders of the congregation to him, and let them pray over him, applying oil to him in the name of Jehovah. And the prayer of faith will make the sick one well, and Jehovah will raise him up. Also, if he has committed sins, he will be forgiven.

Because the verses appear to say that if anyone is unwell they can go to the elders and they will pray and pour oil on his head and he will be made well and if he has committed any sins they will be forgiven.

Yet the way Watchtower reads it, it’s as if it is saying that anyone who has sinned should call the local elders. First a couple of elders will discuss the matter to determine if it is a disfellowshipping offence, and if it is then a judicial committee will be formed. Then the committee will meet with the person to determine whether the person is repentant. If they determine he is repentant then they will pray together with the person, but it if not they will send him on his way without a prayer. No oil and no healing of any illness is involved.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

NEAT BLUE DOG:

Yes, I agree about the anachronisms in their literature. They want people to believe they are directly connected or ‘descended’ from people and situations in ancient bible times.

I had a similar pet peeve back when I was in. Some fool would refer to the artwork in one of the books or magazines as if it were an actual photograph taken in the first century! This made me very angry. Didn’t know they had cameras or video recorders back then!

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

LongHairGal:

Speaking of hair, why are some people wearing curlers the night before, have Farrah Fawcett hair or obviously got a perm recently depending on the decade? 😅

Also, how about the 1st century baptism pictures where their arms are still held the same and the family watches while laughing, smiling and politely clapping? All that's needed to add is taking selfies afterward.

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

Showing Jesus and the apostles as white men. Of course the WT is not the only religion guilty of this.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    Showing groups of first Century Christians in which reading from a codex or scroll was common.

Yeah, I remember those illustrations too.

A congregation meeting in someone's home, and someone is reading from a scroll while there nearby there is a basket with 6 or 7 other scrolls.

Which would represent probably the total lifetime earnings of a whole village of Judean peasants.

But yeah, it was so common for there to be baskets of scrolls in the houses of 1st century Palestine.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Does anyone have any Watchtower pictures of first century Christians carrying tract-like codices from door to door? I was sure I remembered seeing that, but can’t find it now.

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

I just remembered in the 50s/60s they imposed a beardless Jesus which in itself was kind of an anachronism.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Yes I too remember the beardless Jesus picture , it really goes to show you how dishonest and what means they will go to and deceive you.

• road to nowhere
    road to nowhere

"Jesus s(h)aves. "

• neat blue dog
    neat blue dog

"Jesus s(h)aves. "

"Yesh, he doesh"

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit