My stupid neighbors!

by DanTheMan 29 Replies latest jw friends

• La Capra
    La Capra

Most cities have strict ordinances about barking dogs. Since they act out when your neighbor is in his yard, it would not be difficult to demonstrate this to a visiting animal control officer, who will cite, ticket, and eventually confiscate the dogs from the offenders. Animal control already has history on these folks tendency to keep vicious dogs. The neighbor also has a civil cause of action against these folks for nuisance, which means that the neighbors are not allowed to interfere with the use and enjoyment of your neighbors land and property. If your neighbor buillt/owns the fence, he can also sue for damage to the fence in small claims court. If all remedies are instigated at the same time, the nasty neighbors may finally give it up. People worry that neighbors might get worse if you sue them, and this is usually true. But it sounds like it really cannot get worse than it already is-not being able to go into your yard lest the dogs bust down the fence. That is ridiculous. Three dogs...that's a lot of dog crap...another nuisance to the neighbor I'm sure. I just finished my first year of law school last week. Can you tell? Shoshana

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

Poisoning them sounds like a good idea. I'd be afraid to do it though, things like that have a way of backfiring...

• kls
    kls

Stupid people raise stupid animals.It is there fault what the animals do.They are only doing what they are taught by their owners.Do not blame the dogs.Poison?how cruel to even say such a thing and know what it does to their body.I am so upset , Nathan Nat. HOW DARE YOU.

• Jesika
    Jesika
    I'm with Jessica......put up a hot wire for ED around his fence and shock the shit out of those dogs

Gumby

Dan, I think that would be a thing/ "gift" to do for Ed. It isn't illegal either, like poison is.

Calling animal control, as posted by someone else, is a good idea too, and show them the damage the dogs have caused to the fence and how this could lead to someone getting seriously hurt.

Don't get Depressed............GET ACTIVE!!!!!!!! Do something to help them, instead of feeling sorry for Ed and his wife.

• ballistic
    ballistic

Sounds like the laws in the UK are much stronger. They can stop [people owning them just like that. But there again, the gun laws here are the same.

• teenyuck
    teenyuck

Dan, some info to perhaps help Ed:

http://www.franklincountydogs.com/legalInfo/doglaws.htm

Confining Pit Bull Dogs (Ohio Revised Code Section 955.22D)

Dogs that are a “breed of dog commonly known as a Pit Bull” are automatically considered to be vicious under Ohio law. They must be confined on the owner’s property by means of a locked fenced yard, a locked dog pen that has a top, or some other locked enclosure (such as a house). This law applies not only to pure bred American Pit Bull dogs, but also to other pure bred and mixed breed dogs that have similar physical and behavioral characteristics. Animal Control Officers make the determination as to whether or not a dog is a “breed of dog commonly known as a Pit Bull.” The maximum penalty for a violation of this section on a first offense is a $1,000 fine and up to six months imprisonment. If the dog seriously injures a person, or this is a second offense of this section, the charge may be filed as a felony.

Confining Your Dog
    (Ohio Revised Code Section 955.22C)

All dogs regardless of age must be kept confined on the premises of the owner, keeper or harborer at all times. Acceptable methods of confinement include a fence, a tethering device, a dog pen, inside a house or garage, or under adequate supervision. If you are walking your dog off of your property, you must maintain reasonable control over your dog so that it doesn’t run away (the best way to do this is to keep a leash on your dog). The maximum penalties for violations of this section are a $100 fine on the first offense, and a $250 fine and 30 days imprisonment for subsequent offenses.

Insuring Pit Bull Dogs
    (Ohio Revised Code Section 955.22E)

Dogs that are a “breed of dog commonly known as a Pit Bull” are automatically considered to be vicious under Ohio law. Owners of these dogs must maintain at least $100,000 of liability insurance coverage on these animals. The maximum penalty for a violation of this section is a $1,000 fine and up to six months imprisonment. If you have any questions regarding these laws, please contact a Field Supervisor at the Department of Animal Control’s Enforcement Division at 462-3400.

Dan, either call the Animal Control or call me, give me their name and address and I will. Ed and you will have a clear conscience that you did not rat them out. I will.

Tina (hates nasty dog class; had rabies shots when I was 5; ouch)

• larc
    larc

hey Dan,

I agree that killing a dog is a good fantasy, but it could "back fire". It is still fun to think about.

I remember a quote from Puddin'Head Wilson, by Mark Twain. The guy in the story just got off the boat at a town on the Mississippi river. He was talking to some locals, and a dog was barking, which was very distracting. He said, "I wish I owned half that dog." The locals asked why and he replied, "Because I would shoot my half."

He then walked away and locals pondered this comment, and concluded that he was a Puddin' Head, since they knew that if he shot one half of the dog, the other half would die too. (They didn't seem to understand that he already knew that.)

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Be sure never to leave anitifreeze where any animal might accidentally drink it, and never mix it with chopped beef as a treat for any dog.

It would be a bad thing to buy with cash a container of antifreeze, a few pounds of chopped meat and a can of plain breadcrumbs somewhere not close to you regular stompin' grounds, mix the meat, breadcrumbs and a quantity of antifreeze together into a meatloaf or two or three, then dispose of the leftover antifreeze and the container at a remote location not near your home or the place of purchase. If the meatloafs were to transport themselves to the BAD DOG side of the fence some night it would be tragic. Make sure that doesn't happen. We wouldn't want kls to be upset.

• ballistic
    ballistic

ANyway, being as your not 17 and drunk, and not considering that kind of action, I thought you U.S. guys were the kings of legislation and court actions??? Or have I been watching too many movies?

• Jesika
    Jesika
    I thought you U.S. guys were the kings of legislation and court actions???

I don't know about "kings", but we are up there alright.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit