What is the harm or downside of being PIMO?

by PimoElder 48 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• PimoElder
    PimoElder

What is the harm or downside of being PIMO?

I get all the good things about being in the cong, good social life lots of invites to BBQs and meals out

lots of interesting gossip 🤣🤣🤣🤣

there is no downside once you come to terms that the GB are lying about everything and it’s all nonsense

I am not entirely comfortable sometimes having to lie with things I say on the platform but I can be cared to minimise it- saying the Bible says this and we know the governing body says it means this and so on. It’s not really lying it’s just that I don’t believe it

i know the governing body are just as wrong today as they were saying millions now living will never die🤣

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I know when I was PIMO I hated with a passion having to look over my shoulder all the time just doing normal things like socializing with non-JW friends, enjoying someones birthday, having to clear my internet history all the time, having to watch what I say and how I say it.

I dont miss those days at all.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I am not sure I was ever PIMO. However, even when I was in I kept my identity as one of Jehovah's Witnesses hidden from my co-workers. I had an anxiety over being found out.

In addition, I too had a fear that when I chose to do things that were forbidden or frowned upon by the Watchtower that I would be seen by someone else in the congregation. I wasn't doing anything that would get me disfellowshipped, but I was a Ministerial Servant and wanted to avoid being removed. A lot of that was fear of what my parents would think.

So, living that way takes a toll. Mentally which does affect you physically. Developing high blood pressure or heart issues as a result of constant anxiety would be horrible.

• nicolaou
    nicolaou

Before I get into this PimoElder can you clarify whether or not you actually are an elder?

• joao
    joao

Being a PIMO may cause loads of mental and physical problems to us due to the excess of anxiety and stress. Depression comes from that type of stuff! And I know what I'm talking about! 30 years of being under the Society rule led to my depression a year ago, and I only started to really feel great after I took my decision to leave!

I can only see a good side for keeping being a PIMO (because I think that lying from the platform and when going door to door is also corrosive): it's when elders can handle it and leak secret info that people wouldn't have access to otherwise. But they really have to be careful with their health because depression settles in really slowly and quietly!

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

You know it's all bullshit.

You know you're living a lie.

You know you're wasting your life on this crap.

That is one serious head-f**k.

It must be worse than being a true believer ...

• TonusOH
    TonusOH

I wasn't really PIMO, but I can't imagine going to the weekly meetings (especially the midweek ones) and to field service for something I don't believe is real. I think that, on some level, I was already mentally gone before I consciously admitted it, and that made it easier to slowly drift away from the activities without really feeling guilty. There came a point where I felt like I had to drag myself to any JW activities and any excuse to stay home sounded good enough.

And that was when I thought I was still convinced it was the truth!

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Pimmy - What is the harm or downside of being PIMO?

As I said afore:

You can't slave for 2 masters.

In the end the cog-dis will burn you. You will have to decide if you should stay or not.

• inbetween
    inbetween

One can endure many things, depending on the reason for doing so.

I know, if I come out as non-beleiver, it would severe the ties to my family, and might even literally (really) kill my older parents.

I imagine the situation like being held hostage, I may be able to eascape, but I would have to leave beind loved ones, who are simply not able to run that fast anymore (figuratively speaking)

Suffering is awful, but for a good cause, and knowing its only temporary, one may be able to find some comfort in it.

• carla
    carla

From a never a jw point of view- I can't imagine having to keep both worlds straight all the time. If you have non jw friends and can be completely honest with them but then have all the jw family/friends and making sure you don't slip up would be a difficult life.

Aside from the personal mental issues it would inflict upon you, how do you knowingly go to strangers and those you claim to love and tell them they must live the jw life? that their very life (soul if jw's believed in one the way non jw's do) depends upon getting on the ark of the jw's? how do you live with yourself? how do you look at yourself in the mirror everyday? Not trying to judge you, I really want to know how one would be able to do it?

I suppose people who cheat on their spouse, commit crimes, politicians, etc... do it everyday so I shouldn't find it so disturbing.

I guess you get what you want out of it so it makes it ok?

You are an elder? you have power over true believers who may go to you for help? will you help them get out? Will you turn in known pedophiles to the authorities? or will that put a damper on your bbq invites?

The more I think about your post you sound like a selfish sob. In most churches what you are doing would be considered sinful and hypocritical.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit