The Best And Worst Accents In The World

by Englishman 29 Replies latest jw friends

• Englishman
    Englishman

Well, obviously we English don't qualify on that score as we simply do not have any accent whatsoever.

But I do like the Mid to South US accent, it's very warm and hospitable.

I'm not too keen on the accent of the Eastern Europeans, it seems harsh and bombastic.

Englishman.

• Buster
    Buster

Hands down, the Argentines have the most beautiful accent I've ever heard. As I understand it, they have a strong influence from the Italians. It sounds like they're singing. I remember an airline pilot ginving instructions over the intercom, first in English then Spanish. If he was telling us that we were about to fly into a mountain, I think the passengers would have just lain their head back and relaxed.

Runner-up: South Carolina, USA. I'll never forget buying something at a gas station and the pretty little clerk asked me, in a mellifluous lilt, 'Would you like it in a baaaag?' - Yum.

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

In the U.K., I give the Glaswegians top dollar. I love their accent as rough and course as it is. They can say stuff and pull it off. After staying there for an extended period of time, I actually understood them. I know most people would disagree, but I loved their rough-ass accent.

In the U.S. - well, I get a kick out of Boston (New England accent) and well, NY/NJ accents are fun. Oklahoma: some of the rural areas I was at, it was so cute to hear them. They were so friendly.

Canada: (I'm biased) - but I love my relatives' accent in Nova Scotia/Newfoundland. Very endearing and funny as hell. Northern Ontario, they have an accent that's sort of like an inflection of Ojibway Indian thrown in, I love it.

Other accents, not sure. Having lived in the Philippines, I still find the Filipino spoken English accent, still nice to hear. Their sense of humour is completely mental, and it works in their English.

I do like some of the Caribbean accents. They're cute.

Down Under, well I do like some of the Aussie accents. I love the New Zealanders accents. When my Maori buddy stayed with me, we'd howl with laughter at some of the ways we'd say things to each other.

Anyone who has spoken to me on here, may notice an accent. But I cannot say whether or not it's endearing or nice. Difficult to say. People here in Toronto can tell I'm originally from Atlantic Canada.

• HappyHeathen
    HappyHeathen

I would have to say men with English accents still melt me into a little puddle. But I have to qualify that -- not all English accents sound attractive. A "John Steed" accent vs. a Bob Hoskins accent, if you know what I mean. The accent I like the least would probably be American New York brooklyn, followed by a German accent.

• Mulan
    Mulan
    Well, obviously we English don't qualify on that score as we simply do not have any accent whatsoever.

I don't have an accent either. I sound just like the newscasters on American TV. So, there!!!

I love the British accent, and Australian and South African.

Souther U.S. is pretty good too................some sound nice, others sound like hicks.

Waiting sounds so genteel, like a real Southern lady.

• Valis
    Valis

My worst experience was in physics class...the professor was from Pakistan and it was his first semester teaching...oh my jebus cripes! I ended up dropping out because I simply couldn't understand him (AND I REALLY SUCK AT MATH)...It did teach me though I have to spend a little more time listening to my international students..it helps them and keeps them from getting discouraged. I think often I have a hard time when people with accents don't speak loudly enough..kind of like my mild mannered and good friend Trucker...great guy, but in a full room a tad hard to understand..even with the accent...the olde bloke!*LOL*

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• happyout
    happyout

My favorite accent is french, with some spanish accents coming in a close second. I don't like German, it sounds too guttural for my taste, and I really don't care much for southern USA accents.

• gitasatsangha
    gitasatsangha

I like to hear people from New York city talk. I used to like hearing the witnesses from up there sing praises to "Jahover".

• DJ
    DJ

My dear Englishman,

I know that you don't have an accent and neither do I......lol..... I have to say that I prefer English and Australian, although Italian accents are lovely too.

• SYN
    SYN

American accents all the way...closely followed by a Spanish accent. Yum!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit