Do any of the JWs go out door to door with a territory any more?

by Spiral 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Spiral
    Spiral

I actually had a neighbor ask me that the other day (she knows I'm an "ex" JW) and I didn't really know the answer. I know there's a bit of cart witnessing going on (small town) and a lot of driving around to return visits.

But are they actually doing territory, not-at-homes, all of that? The neighbor said that eight years ago, when she bought her house, the JWs were by "all the time". They haven't been seen for over three to four years, from her observation. Not a single tract found in the door.

It's been so long I wasn't sure.

• sir82
    sir82

Door to door, with territory cards, is still considered the "primary" way to "witness".

The carts seem ubiquitous because they are placed in prominent & high-traffic areas, but still well over 90% of JW "time" comes from "door to door".

• Spiral
    Spiral

The last time I actually saw JWs on the street was a couple of years ago during the CO visit. Never see them any more. Perhaps they are just faking their time, or making up return visits? We used to do a lot of nonsensical driving around years ago, when I was still in.

I got to wondering if the territory keeping had changed and I didn't even know. lol

• sir82
    sir82

Perhaps they are just faking their time,

"Faking time" has become a JW art form.

• steve2
    steve2

I have not seen them out in the door-to-door work for a good year or more whereas in earlier years I saw them walking the streets all the time. Even allowing for the limited cart work I see in New Zealand, their visibility has declined a lot. And at those times when I had seen them out,conspicuous were the older women with a few older men - hardly any younger ones door-knocking. In New Zealand, it is telling that the peak number of JWs in 2011 was over 4,500 whereas in the latest service year - 2017 - it wasn't quite 4,100.

• jookbeard
    jookbeard

I've seen them less and less this last year walking around the residential area I live in

• Spiral
    Spiral

This is why I was wondering if the old way of checking out territories, working the doors (to death) and keeping all the records had gone away. I'm aware from reading other threads that keeping "not at home" records may not be compliant with new privacy laws in the UK, and of course the US could follow that path.

I don't hear any conversation these days about checking out territories and keeping up on return visits. The "zeal" just doesn't seem to be there. But then, the ones I still know are so busy trying to make a living there's not a lot of extra time. Door to door might just die out due to lack of enthusiasm. I don't even see the local Mormons going around town.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

I haven't seen any here in this part of London for at least 2 years, and when I did they were all well over retirement age. I honestly cannot remember the last time I saw a young witness go door to door.

I do see the carts on occasion.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Just to add I live in a no "Cold calling"neighbourhood. We have the big signs everywhere so I don't know if this fairly recent by-law affects their door knocking.(we have high number of retirement homes and warden controlled housing).

My step father instigated and developed this law funnily enough.....I must ask him if religious canvassers are included in the ban.

• cha ching
    cha ching

My sister lives in a neighborhood where she sees the Spanish congregation going door to door quite regularly, and although she has not been to a meeting in over 5 years, an ex-JW "friend" (the kind that doesn't pay you back) still leaves invitations and an occasional magazine on her front door step.... (to get her time started)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit