What does 'populist' mean?

by LoveUniHateExams 22 Replies latest social current

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

So yeah, I've been encountering the word 'populist' quite a bit recently.

E.g. Trump's a populist president.

What does it mean?

Does it simply mean popular?

If that's the case then every democratically elected leader is popular because they were voted into office.

I suspect it means something more because I've never encountered Trudeau is a populist president or Macron is a populist president. It seems to be usually aimed at right-wing politicians and seems to be used often in The Guardian.

I further suspect that this is another case of the left-leaning MSM making up words. When they can't use racist or sexist, they make up another -ist, another -ism.

Control the language and you have more chance of winning the debate ... well, it won't wash with me!

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

And here I thought it was a devout member of the Church of Populism.

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow

"Populist"

Historically, it meant "for the common people" as opposed to "for the elite"

I am encountering the term now too. Except it is in a book about the history of the Russian Revolution and the political factions that occurred in the years leading up to the Bolsheviks taking power. They were not populists, yet there were political groups based on Marxist ideology that did call themselves "populists".

• Giordano
    Giordano

In politics, populism refers to a range of approaches which emphasise the role of "the people" and often juxtapose this group against "the elite". There is no single definition of the term, which developed in the 19th century and has been used to mean various things since that time.Wikipedia

In other words you can use the term as you wish.

While Donald Trump likes to think of himself as a 'populist' he is definitely of the elite in every way possible.

• Simon
    Simon

No, Trump is an outsider. The elites were the Bush, Clinton, Kennedy clans swapping the presidency and covering up for each other.

This is why there is such an effort to attack Trump and portray everything he says and does in a negative light. He was a shock to the powers-that-be and they want normal service resumed.

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Emoluments. David Cay Johnston, Tony Schwartz and many others wrote about this, some as far back as the eighties covering Trump. I find it surprising that the current President has so many supporters in the Ex JW community. After all we finally woke and got wise to the cult, yet so many now latch on to and become yes men all over again.. I'm centrist by the way, believe in the merit system. Anyhow happy wishes to all. Cheers !

• Introvert 2
    Introvert 2

Here's a name for research friends : Wayne Barrett

A+ ( à plus tard ! )

• MeanMrMustard
    MeanMrMustard
    I find it surprising that the current President has so many supporters in the Ex JW community. After all we finally woke and got wise to the cult, yet so many now latch on to and become yes men all over again..

This is flirting with Morph’s law... Only because a debate hasn’t really started. It’s a poisoning of the well.

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

The term Populist has degraded since the A-Hole Trump won the election with the mindless minions.

Rub a Dub

• LV101
    LV101

"mindless minions" - Whoa! Not everyone can be a Clinton/Obama/CNN sycophant (even Dems can't take their own candidates any more) and the fabricated political rhetoric is beyond crazy.

Simon's definition of the ole swamp dynasty pretty much sums it up -- bulls eye perfect.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit