What does 'populist' mean?

by LoveUniHateExams 22 Replies latest social current

• OneGenTwoGroups
    OneGenTwoGroups

a member or adherent of a political party seeking to represent the interests of ordinary people

or at least tries really hard to pretend to be.

Having a Verizon lawyer as the chair of the FCC isn't what I call draining the swamp.

• resolute Bandicoot
    resolute Bandicoot

Simon - No, Trump is an outsider.

10/10, that's what makes him sooooo dangerous and he is self funded so he can't be bought, but he is still vulnerable to blackmail for his indiscretions.

The popularists are those who understand and oppose the UN / Globalist plans to weaken and destroy the nation states and usher in a centralised "New World Order" (Uh.., I groan even when I type that).

Don't believe it? have a look at the current UN Global Compact For Migration, which a few countries have wisely side stepped.

RB

• LoveUniHateExams
    LoveUniHateExams

I took The Guardian's 'populist test' yesterday. It actually had a populist left as well as a populist right, so I was wrong about that, although The Guardian obviously focuses on attacking the populist right ... the south american leaders get off scott free.

But I still suspect that 'populist' is used to sneer at leaders who actually listen to the voters, with the implication being that the voters are bigoted.

• snare&racket
    snare&racket

It’s seen as a cheap way to garner support. Aim low, forget your true feelings and ideaology and say whatever will appeal to the masses.

Anyone can blame hard times on immigrants and foreign countries. Anyone can say tax the wealthy. Anyone can say let’s build roads and infrastructure. Anyone can say soldiers are the real heroes.

It’s more than this though, it comes with a “they’re saying what we are all thinking for once” and a “they’re brave enough to say what the others won’t” ..... like all Mexican immigrants are rapists 🙄

• SadElder
    SadElder

I'm not a Hillary supporter nor a Trump supporter. I voted for neither of them. But as far as popular vote goes, Hillary won by some two million votes. It was only because of the Electoral College system that Trump was designated winner.

• LV101
    LV101

The Electoral College HAS BEEN OUR VOTING SYSTEM FOREVER -- and makes it FAIR! This is nothing new. Hillary only received popular vote because of a few liberal states. Conservatives get it but the liberals want to change the rules now -- altho makes sense with Clintons different set of rules than everyone else - well, almost everyone else.

• Simon
    Simon
    It was only because of the Electoral College system that Trump was designated winner

I'm pretty sure Hillary knew the election rules. She chose not to bother campaigning in places that Trump did and he subsequently won there and won the election according to the rules.

Winning the 'popular' vote is irrelevant - that isn't how the election is decided.

The dems now have a record of wanting to abolish every system the minute it doesn't favour them, from the election system to SCOTUS nominees. They incite people to take to the streets to protest (riot) and demonstrate (harass people in their homes and restaurants).

But they claim Trump is the one undermining things ...

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

Trump presents himself as populist type politician, an everyday man of the people etc. but his underling agenda is to really support the corporate business elite, you know people who can afford to have a membership at one his private resorts or lease an office in one his expensive business towers.

Social equality is not on his agenda into improving the lifestyle of the lower middle class, in spite of him politically pandering to the working class in a populist way.

• littlerockguy
    littlerockguy

Finkelstein, and the Clinton's were all for the everyday working class so much more than Trump like all other limousine liberals?

• Della Street
    Della Street

I'm not sure how a "billionaire" is not considered elitist. He may be outside the established political system, but he is not "every man". Frankly, I don't think poor whites look at Trump and identify with him, I think they identify with the fear, distrust and prejudice that he uses to get votes. Caravan, anyone?

As far as "not being able to be bought" - I think his dealings with Putin and Saudi Arabia demonstrate that he has been bought...He's out for personal gain and he's allowing himself to be used as a puppet for a global agenda orchestrated by Bannon et al.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2018/nov/21/steve-bannons-rightwing-europe-operation-undermined-by-election-laws

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit