Tuesday's CBS Program is Now Online

by fjtoth 11 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• fjtoth
    fjtoth

CBS has now posted online what I think is the FULL program that was shown Tuesday night, minus Dan Rather's comments. You can watch it by going to the following web page: http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/eveningnews/main3420.shtml Then click the button for "Video: Jehovah's Witnesses Under Fire." You might have to wait a few minutes for the file to download.

• hawkaw
    hawkaw

Thanks Frank.

hawk

• TresHappy
    TresHappy

Watched it - very interesting!

• Nordic
    Nordic

fjtoth

Thanks for the link.

Nordic

• Dansk
    Dansk

Frank,

I guess some coverage is better than none - but I downloaded this and was disappointed in that, IMHO, it wasn't powerful enough. We need something along the lines of the more powerful Panorama-type programme that was aired here in the UK. That was about an hour long, plus the following day there was a follow-up discussion of about half an hours length which was powerful in itself.

Prior to the airing of the Panorama programme the PO in our congregation advised us all that it was the work of apostates and that we shouldn't watch it. Like a good, zealous dub I complied. Since walking away from the Borg I've watched the programme on the internet.

I just hope the momentum keeps up because it would be tragic if things were allowed to go cold. I know how difficult it is to whip up enthusiasm on this forum. It's damn hard to be fighting behind the scenes with very little visible support coming in. The support has increased this past week I have to say, but sometimes I feel exJWs just want to forget - not truly realising that sitting down and doing nothing is allowing the Watchtower to rope in another gullible generation.

Dansk

• No Apologies
    No Apologies

Gotta disagree with you on this one Dansk. This was a five minute segment on one of the major US television broadcast networks. It was promoted at the opening of the newscast and probably on other spots earlier in the day or week. Millions of viewers saw this very well-done segment. Now its online at CBS, where anyone can refer to it.

Yes, it was only a few minutes. Yes they did not cover all possible angles. But it was another blow to the Watchtower. No one documentary or news item is going to do the job. Every little bit helps, and this was a big step in the right direction. Heidi did a fantastic job, Bill was great. Hopefully the momentum will continue.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Taken by itself, Dansk, yes, the program seemed pretty weak. I agree with No Apologies, though.

Remeber "REPETITION FOR EMPHASIS"?

Advertise, ADVERTISE, ADVERTISE!!!

The Watchtower is becoming more and more strongly linked with the problem of child sexual abuse in the minds of the public.

Will they next be linked with spousal abuse?

The field is the world...

• caligirl
    caligirl

Thanks for posting that. I was hating that I had missed the broadcast and was glad to be able to see it.

True, it was not a heavy duty piece, but it did put the issue back in the public eye and back in the minds of anyone who watched it. ANYTHING that keeps this issue on people's minds is a very good thing. The more publicity it gets, the faster it will erode their ability to continue to claim that all these victims are lying about the abuse. The more victims that come forward publicly, the faster it will be shown that these are not isolated incidents and that cases were handled the same all over the world, blowing apart any claim that the mistakes were local and isolated, to be blamed on "local handling."

• BluesBrother
    BluesBrother

Any further publicity for this horrible situation and the criminal negligence by some of those whom we trusted , has got to be welcomed.

It is vital, however, that those bringing the actions are totally honest and believable . I was disappointed with the following extract :-

Bill Bowen, an elder for more than 20 years explained, "Anything that an elder says is viewed as the direct word of God."

Bowen, a former Jehovah's Witness went on, "You could even be excommunicated for questioning what an elder tells you to do.

Any one with any knowlege of the workings of a congregation will know that this is an exageration.Most dubs of my acquaintance have a healthy cynicism for the pronouncements of elders, even if they are totally obedient to the written word of the WTBTS

I fear that it will allow them to dismiss the rest of it as "probable exageration" and cause dubs who might otherwise have been moved, to say it is ill informed

• gcc2k
    gcc2k

Bluesbrother, you may want to post on a related thread where I am currently taking some heat for the same statements. :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit