Best Website in the world - JWORG

by TheWonderofYou 35 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Simon
    Simon
    Is that like a trump style fact? Tolkien took his elvish language from Welsh. Welsh has been around for centuries. And people can speak it.

Shhhhh ... you'll ruin it. I'm trying to create an urban legend - imagine if one day someone tells me this "fact" at a dinner party, I'll be so happy and proud of my achievement, LOL.

I know Welsh people really do exist, I married one.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

the Welsh are simply the Irish who couldnt swim when the Romans invaded.

the few Welsh people who do speak Welsh are also fluent in the English language.

all the road and rail signs in Welsh are just to appease their national vanity.

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

All this "website" talk from the Jehovah's Witnesses is part of the "closed-world assumption" that permeates groups like the JWs and Mormons.

While the term is now used in building the framework for computer systems, the terminology was borrowed from the way people often present facts as if everyone knows that a certain fact is true, or as in this particular case, important.

How often do people outside of the Watchtower's influence discuss and even long for websites that are translated into a large number of languages? How often is the subject discussed when important issues arise?

It's a non-issue. It only means something to the JWs because their website is now the central disseminating point of their nonsense. Nobody else cares.

Recall when it used to be the printed publications that all the boasting was about? How often did they crow about how many Watchtower magazines were being printed and in how many countries and languages? Sounded impressive, but not a week went by in field service that I failed coming across at least one person who had never read, seen, or heard of The Watchtower magazine. The now-defunct Worldwide Church of God used the same self-praise with its membership regarding The Plain Truth magazine.

But in real life, what did it matter? Who cared? Were you impressed by The Plain Truth's distribution numbers when Armstrong was alive? Did you know them? Did you even realized they existed? Do you even know that magazine existed?

It's a cult tactic. If the JWs were using a dirty toilet as the means to distribute their nonsense, they would be boasting about how their dirty toilet gets used by more people around the world from more language groups than any other toilet.

The fact of the matter is that religions generally don't use one single website to teach everything to all their members. First off, the religions of the world are too large. Can you imagine if you had all the Roman Catholics of the world downloading their Sunday Mass readings from one single website? How many language groups are we talking about? How many countries? How many non-Catholics attend Mass? And we're not mentioning RCIA classes, Cana marriage courses, catechism for children, etc., all coming from one, single website. Could one website handle the traffic of 1.2 billion plus people?

The Catholic Church reaches everybody, everywhere, and did it before websites. It can still do all this without relying on websites. The same goes for other religions, Christian and non-Christian. Most have a plethora of websites per denomination, each serving a very specific need in a complex paradigm of networks within each. Religions are also multicultural and thus use different sites to meet the specific needs of various cultural and language groups.

So all this JW talk about how great their single website is? It is a source of pride for those cult zombies, but no one else cares.

• Landy
    Landy

Shhhhh ... you'll ruin it. I'm trying to create an urban legend - imagine if one day someone tells me this "fact" at a dinner party, I'll be so happy and proud of my achievement, LOL.

I know Welsh people really do exist, I married one.

Lol - sorry.:D

• ttdtt
    ttdtt

YEA its amazing - wonder why Carvel Ice cream cant have its site translated into 180 languages?
    I guess its cuz god does the programming for the WT?

I know IBM could never handle such a Herculean task!
    Though they may not have a need to translate into Mamuju!

• steve2
    steve2

Good points David Jay. JWs specialize in boasting about irrelevant stuff. They are a self-important and self-fascinated people who don't notice anything unless it has the aura of self-reference. It is kind of like, "I can see my reflection in the mirror. Fascinating! Let me take note."

They are a highly self-absorbed people who pride themselves on being right about everything, and non-Witnesses wrong about everything - except when non-Witnesses say something nice about Witnesses - and JWs herald it near and far.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

How often do people outside of the Watchtower's influence discuss and even long for websites that are translated into a large number of languages? How often is the subject discussed when important issues arise?

With Brexit - it'll be interesting with the EU dropping English as one of their 'official' languages....

Could one website handle the traffic of 1.2 billion plus people?

I believe youtube gets 20.5 billion visits-per-month - videos are not exactly 'light-weight' traffic

So, yes, it is likely that one website could handle the traffic of 1.2 billion plus people.

https://www.indy100.com/article/top-100-websites-alexa-ranking-justin-trudeau-google-facebook-7631641

• David_Jay
    David_Jay

Darksilver,

We're not talking whether it is possible for 1.2 billion Catholics to get all their information from one website or whether people discuss language. We're talking if this is a real issue of importance to begin with.

If it was a real need, believe me the Catholic Church would have the most efficient of all religious sites because of the money and political control they wield. And it would be effective at controlling the traffic of billions of visitors. Necessity is the mother of invention.

The point is, however, that religions aren't in the business of building a better more widely used and more translated website than the other church. That's not what religion is about.

I was merely trying to show how this is a non-issue. You don't need a website to run a religion. Even if the JWs is the most translated or whatever, so? Without such a thing Catholics introduced (baptized) over 300,000 new adults into their church every month in 2013 according to CARA. The averages have increased since then.

What good is translating a recipe for poisoning yourself and your family into every language? It's still a recipe to poison yourself.

• Londo111
    Londo111

If they had the Truth, the website could certainly be more robust. They could go into depth, show their research, full quotes, ect...

One could make the excuse that the printed magazines don't have enough room. But this need not apply to the website.

• darkspilver
    darkspilver

We're not talking whether it is possible for 1.2 billion Catholics to get all their information from one website or whether people discuss language. We're talking if this is a real issue of importance to begin with.

? Don't try to blame technology - the principle is that, if the catholics wanted it all on one website, one website could handle it - vis-a-vis youtube - but the catholics have decided not to.

anyway, not wasting time on this - besides I'm looking at from a technical point of view, not religious view.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit