Hillary Clinton Winning total vote count but loses the Election

by RubaDub 20 Replies latest social current

• fulltimestudent
    fulltimestudent

Similar things occur in Australia, due to the preferential voting system that's used.

• scary21
    scary21

I believe two states divide their electoral votes, Maine and ? on the other.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

It only makes sense when you realize why it was implemented, but yes, it does seem pretty strange.

• OUTLAW
    OUTLAW

Hillary Clinton Winning total vote count but loses the Election..

I'm sure a lot of people in other countries scratch their heads when they see this happening.

Uhhhhhhhh Ya..

Looks Like Trump Was Right..

Image result for Trump warns election may be rigged

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Nebraska

• punkofnice
  • dozy
    dozy

The USA electoral college variant does throw up some inconsistencies and really needs some tweaking ( smaller states are unfairly over-represented , for example ). Where Trump scored was successfully appealing to white non college educated men in swing states.

But there isn't an ideal system. There is a strong argument , backed up by instances in some countries , that where there is a "winner takes all" vote based purely on a simple majority then candidates heavily base their policies and appeal to voters in large heavily populated urban areas - throwing money at cities in a "pork barrel" style of vote buying. In the US context , who would be bothered about a few farmers in a rural area like North Dakota ( for example ) when there are millions of votes to be hoovered up in New York.

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Outlaw, what would you consider this move by the Va Gov. It is currently a right that a felon is denied.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2016/04/22/about-200000-convicted-felons-in-virginia-will-now-have-the-right-to-vote-in-november/

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The United States of America is not, nor has it ever been, a democracy. It is a constitutional republic.

When you study and gain understanding of how the electoral college works, it makes sense and is a safeguard.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Democracy is a word often bandied about as though a definitive form of it exists in the Country that the person is speaking of.

I suggest that a democracy of the kind that most people would really like to see not only does not exist, but cannot.

Most people would like the kind of Governance that they approve of. I do not need to point out the problems with that view.

I do think that a huge number of people in the U.S of A and here in the U.K feel that the Electoral system we have at present, ( and both are very different of course), is broken, not fit for purpose.

Too many people are effectively disenfranchised.

How do we improve the System ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit