Oh, no. Not the election.........

by punkofnice 9 Replies latest social current

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Just to set the scene; I loathe politicians. I am revulsed by people like Trump, Clinton, Merkel, May and uncle Tom Cobleigh an' all.

However, I have a question about something that someone said. I've googled it but couldn't locate.

Now, I know you folks will give me a specific answer.....and sorry to bring up that USA election. As a Brit I view it with a fair amount of indifference. However, I am concerned about which grot bags get their grubby little protuberances on the nuclear codes. Whereas, I don't think any sane person would set doomsday off....I really don't think these guys qualify. (Let's see who bites at that one)

What is this I hear? It doesn't matter who gets the majority vote, it has to go to a college where some stooges decide who really won?

Eh? What's that all about? If this is true, there is no democracy. If it isn't true, what might the person have been referring to?

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

The United States of America is not and has never been a democracy. Democracy doesn't work.

The United States of America is a constitutional republic. That is to say, we are ruled by laws that apply to all persons and we elect representatives to make, enforce, and interpret those laws.

https://www.prageru.com/courses/political-science/popular-vote-vs-electoral-college

• OneEyedJoe
    OneEyedJoe

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electoral_College_(United_States)

The popular vote of each state decides who gets that state's electoral college votes. In most cases the electors in the electoral college are bound to vote for the candidate chosen by the popular vote of the state (in a couple states this is not the case, but I don't think they've gone rouge in modern history, if ever). This is why it is technically possible for a candidate to lose the national popular vote but win the election - If they have small victories in just enough states to win enough electoral votes and then landslide losses in other states. That is an unusual occurrence, though.

Each state's electoral votes is equivalent to the number of representatives that the state has in congress. Since each state has two senators, regardless of population, and a number of representatives in proportion to their population this scheme gives less populated states a disproportionate sway on the election. Though, because of the much larger size of the population-based votes, the effect is relatively small.

In short, it's a weird system that has some rather unexpected consequences (kinda locks us in to a 2-party system) and doesn't really make sense in the modern era where technology has shrunk the world so much. While it's not strictly democratic, the result usually approximates the results of a democratic election.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Yes. that's the stuff. thanks TBK & OEJ

• Poztate
    Poztate
    The United States of America is not and has never been a democracy. Democracy doesn't work.
    The United States of America is a constitutional republic

Yes .. I am relived that you are a smooth running Constitutional Republic and not one of those nasty old Democracies that doesn't work. It seems to be working out good for you so far. So no chance of Trump nuking North Korea if he gets pissed off at them and gets a little excited ? There are checks and balances right ? It is not like the POTUS has the final say over the RED BUTTON

• Poztate
    Poztate
    Only the President can direct the use of nuclear weapons, including the Single Integrated Operational Plan (SIOP). While the President does have unilateral authority as commander-in-chief to order that nuclear weapons be used for any reason at any time, the actual procedures and technical systems in place for authorizing the execution of a launch order requires a secondary confirmation under a two-man rule, as the President's order is subject to secondary confirmation by the Secretary of Defense. If the Secretary of Defense does not concur, then the President may in his sole discretion fire the Secretary. The Secretary of Defense has legal authority to approve the order, but cannot veto it.

Make me feel warm and happy

• JWdaughter
    JWdaughter

I just hope he has some self interest that would make him back off of nuking anyone. Most of those he would want to nuke have something he wants or needs or is close to an ally. Jerusalem is at the center of the middle east. North Africa is near Europe, the rest of Africa has animals he or his kids get off on shooting. . .Russia can fight back and will. China. . .iffier. Mexico is close and he's investing inThe wall. . . He can't get money out of a nuclear wasteland. Unfortunately, he seems to act, then think. Hope his handlers have some strong zip ties.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

I wonder if he'll get bumped off mysteriously............or have I been listening to the conspiracy nuts?

Not that I want this to happen, I add.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I don't understand why this question was asked.

Someone on this board who is from the UK assured me that folks in the UK have an absolute and complete grasp of the Electoral College because it is such a simple concept.

Did you guys skip classes? C'mon, you DID, didn't ya?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Nathan - I think my only reaction is;

LOL

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit