Am I being unreasonable in this ?

by smiddy3 16 Replies latest social family

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

What if instead you insisted that the dog attend an obedience school. If your son balks at that, then the dog's gotta go... maybe you can have the dog euthanized in your home so you can have the joy that comes from seeing him put down.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    What? You shouldn't need to ask if you are being unreasonable. Your son should have taken steps straight away to keep you safe in your own home. - Listener

That's exactly how I feel. If my dog was unprovoked and yet attack any member of the family living in my house, I'd give him a nice last meal and end his life the same day. Was nice to have you around until you messed it all up you miserable violent psychopath.

• Diogenesister
    Diogenesister

Smiddy A lot of these "fashionable" dogs are not raised by proper breeders. There are rules (not strict enough in my opinion) about related-ness (if that's a word) to prevent in breeding. A lot of pups also come from animals with poor temperaments who should never be bred from.

Sounds like your son has got himself one of these as frenchies are super fashionable now.

I was told by Battersea dogs home no less that a dog that attacks once is almost certain to do so again. Your son should have offered immediately to get it re homed and not put you in this position. It's still young he'll have no problem finding a more suitable home. But he'll loose his money because he absolutely must NOT re sell it, but give it to someone who knows what they are doing in attempting to re train it and find it a suitable home. Perhaps a single adult or young couple ( definitely no kids!!!) That person can then decide if the dog is too unsafe for anyone. It's should also be neutered.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    What if instead you insisted that the dog attend an obedience school.

The dog is insecure/aggressive. Training a dog is to teach him how to behave around various scenarios and to follow orders, it won't change his personality. I mean, you can make changes to a lot of things, the way you talk, where he sleeps, which room he's allowed in, how often he walks out, his toys, etc. These all contribute to addressing his insecurities. It will work, until one day, the routine is not followed, something will happen that wasn't planned, and the dog will fall back on his lower instinct. That day, you'll blame yourself for not properly training him, or for not keeping up the routine, but the real problem is that you invested all this time and emotions into a dog that was aggressive to begin with.

• iloowy.goowy
    iloowy.goowy

Smiddy, you did the right thing. That dog can't be trusted. Either they get rid of the dog or can find somewhere else to be with their dog but you should feel safe in your own home.

• Gorb
    Gorb

Hi Smiddy always nice to here from you!

Gorby

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

Evidently you don’t own a gun. That dog needed a quick case of terminal “lead poisoning”.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit